Bowman Armaments 60 - 1928 kits

Just info passing, No affiliation, 

Got an email from Bowman Armaments as I'm on their list. 

They have 60 1928 Thompson kits on the way, found in Europe, images have them with front vertical grips.  It appears they are selling them in groups of 10 for $ 9980.00  They apparently were stored in a location that has been flooded / underwater but they haven't rusted or degraded as they explain there was no oxygen to deteriorate them.  The stocks however are another story.      

Bowman Armaments Group (bowmanarms.com) 

• Upvote 1

We had some advance notice on these inbound kits.
Because of that I have another 100 1928 barrels on order from the manufacturer.
Last I looked we only have about 30 of those barrels in stock, and they have a bit of a lead time to have made.

Thompson M1928 Barrel, 10.5", Cooling Fins, Threaded Muzzle, Blued, .45 ACP *NEW US Made*

Richard

-1_orig_70__05948.1676322350.jpg?c=1

After a wash, they don't look too bad. Yeah, the barrel is going to be hacked, but Bowman includes the cut receiver and barrel pieces in their kits. This means you still get the compensator, Lyman flip sight, grip mount (and potentially a worn out vertical grip). Given the asking prices of the few remaining kits I do see available, these are not that bad. If I can still get one when they arrive, I'm going to. That kind of history is neat to me.

Just now, APEXgunparts said:

They are British contract guns.
According to Bob the Brits burned the butts and dropped the guns down a mine shaft?
All the front grips have the sling swivel on the side.

Richard

And THAT is why I want one! British small arms are my thing, and having a known British owned example (with a cool story) is worth the price to me.

2 hours ago, SparksNArcs said:

And THAT is why I want one! British small arms are my thing, and having a known British owned example (with a cool story) is worth the price to me.

I too try to concentrate / focus my "accumulation" of military small arms on weapons used by Commonwealth forces.
Look at the gun pictured in the APEX Gun Parts Thompson category:
Thompson parts category

What do you notice!

Richard

2 hours ago, APEXgunparts said:

I too try to concentrate / focus my "accumulation" of military small arms on weapons used by Commonwealth forces.
Look at the gun pictured in the APEX Gun Parts Thompson category:
Thompson parts category

What do you notice!

Richard

I have become quite familiar with that page, Richard, I've probably ordered $1k worth of parts for my current project! Speaking of....are those "Tommy Gun" marked receiver sections all from Savage? I need a Savage to go with my AO build.

10 hours ago, Autorotate said:

Sling attached in the British style?😄

You are correct with that observation.
For whatever reason My M1A1 picked up a British proof on the bolt.
The wood had been refinished so I fitted that British modified stock and forend and a proper USGI grip.
The sling is British, modified by the Portuguese (they added a buckle to make adjusting the length easier)

I just swapped in an M1 bolt to save the wear on my original M1A1 bolt. (APEX has M1 bolts in stock now)

Regarding that other question, it has been some time since I looked at the cut Thompson receivers.
I don't know who made the "TOMMY GUN" marked ones, or even if they are all the same maker.

Richard

On 2/14/2023 at 8:06 PM, Got Uzi said:

I thought about ordering 10 but there isn't enough of an ROI given there won't be barrels with these.....that and everyone will be buying to make a quick buck so the market will be flooded with recently "flooded" Thompson guns.

Looking at how they are, and imagining how they will arrive at my door, I get what you mean. Any plans I had kind of crumble without a barrel.

If you're right that the influx of this many pieces could move the market and cause a glut, I suppose a move in the market could also increase barrel production.

The ad implies that the receivers would be cut as gently as possible.  Without knowing people in shops, I don't know if that has a significant impact on the economics.  I know the torch demolished receivers I have don't do me any good.  I wouldn't mind have a gently cut one to see if it made any difference.

I'm no expert but I thought the torch process was supposed to take out a certain amount of material per cut.  If so, again, I'd have to see if a gentle cut made any difference.

The final note on the gentle cut, Bowman promised the cuts would spare the markings on the receiver.  That sounds nice. because demolished markings are a big part of why my demolished receivers seem pretty hopeless.