Best firearms shipping method

Inheriting my father in law’s firearms. The guns are in Pennsylvania and we live in Missouri.
Any suggestions on the best way to ship them ? All conventional pieces, no NFA stuff.

B, double E, double R, u, n Beerrun. Road  trip. Depending on how many there are. In today's environment,  it scares me to think about shipping anything firearms related. Then there are the shipping and receiving between ffls to add to the cost.

The Hope Diamond was shipped via USPS Registered Mail however I think a beer run road trip is more fun. I certainly would not trust UPS or FedEx.

Usps rules only allows long guns to be shipped to or from a manufacturere or dealer. Pistols require both parties to be dealer/manufacturer.

Ups and fed ex allow person to person Shipping for long guns.  Pistols require 2nd day air in both cases.

You can ignore rules, its not a law, but if you violate the rules and you try to collect on an insurance claim they will deny you.  

On 6/19/2023 at 6:59 PM, deerslayer said:

Usps rules only allows long guns to be shipped to or from a manufacturere or dealer. Pistols require both parties to be dealer/manufacturer.

Ups and fed ex allow person to person Shipping for long guns.  Pistols require 2nd day air in both cases.

You can ignore rules, its not a law, but if you violate the rules and you try to collect on an insurance claim they will deny you.  

Everything deerslayer says is true. As far as collecting on a claim from UPS, they have more ways to deny a claim than you could ever imagine. It like a catch 22 deal with them. If its lost you must not have labeled it correctly, if it damaged you did not package it correctly. I had a fine shotgun damaged by UPS which was very well packaged, double boxed, padded etc. It also had a very large boot print on the carton. The fore end was broken in half where the boot print was. Obviously someone stood on the box. The UPS rep came and examined the gun and packaging and said I would hear from them. Yes I did...not packaged well enough they said and claim denied. Fortunately Briley who had shiped the gun back to me replaced the fore arm, although it was not their fault.

As far as 2nd day air for handguns and the associated charges UPS imposes, that is a total joke. As a dealer I have ordered handguns from a wholesale distributor that is less than 100 miles from me. That gun was never anywhere near a plane. UPS is anti-gun but they have no qualms when it comes to making money on gun shipments. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Tiz
grammer

I have reasons to not want to go Oregon Trail with Dad’s shooting irons. But it looks like a one way rental overland is the best option. I’ve driven much longer distances in my time (I’m 72) but that was a long time ago. My main concern is security while traveling.  It can be done in two days comfortably, It’s the overnite stay that worries me. 

1 hour ago, anticus said:

I have reasons to not want to go Oregon Trail with Dad’s shooting irons. But it looks like a one way rental overland is the best option. I’ve driven much longer distances in my time (I’m 72) but that was a long time ago. My main concern is security while traveling.  It can be done in two days comfortably, It’s the overnite stay that worries me. 

Keep in mind you will be well armed so security may not be a issue.😅