AIM Surplus Has Early Fed Labs 1.5" Gas Gun For Sale

I was at AIM Surplus in Monroe, OH yesterday, and they had a Fed Labs 1.5" Tear Gas Gun for $499.95.  It's an early one, serial number 433.  The bore had some light rust and tear gas residue on the inside, but it wasn't too bad.  I believe it may have originated from the Baton Rouge Police Department.  You may have to call them to ask about it.  

IMG_2419.jpg

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David, thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and bought this one even though it ended up being about $100 more than I wanted to pay. What swayed me was the fact that this gun is a very early production and you don't see those everyday, and the fact that you mentioned that this was possibly out of the Baton Rouge P.D. Since I have lived there for many years I thought that this piece should come back home. However when I asked AIM if it came from there all they told me is that they got it second hand, (no kidding Capt. Obvious). Anyway I was wondering how you determined that this gun came from B.R., did it have that on the tag or did the salesman say that? Any additional info would be appreciated. I do have a friend who was with the B.R.P.D., but he is recently retired and really wouldn't know who to contact there.

M.H.

Edited by Mike Hammer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2023 at 3:51 PM, Mike Hammer said:

David, thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and bought this one even though it ended up being about $100 more than I wanted to pay. What swayed me was the fact that this gun is a very early production and you don't see those everyday, and the fact that you mentioned that this was possibly out of the Baton Rouge P.D. Since I have lived there for many years I thought that this piece should come back home. However when I asked AIM if it came from there all they told me is that they got it second hand, (no kidding Capt. Obvious). Anyway I was wondering how you determined that this gun came from B.R., did it have that on the tag or did the salesman say that? Any additional info would be appreciated. I do have a friend who was with the B.R.P.D., but he is recently retired and really wouldn't know who to contact there.

M.H.

Hi Mike,

I didn't notice your reply until today.  I know, I should spend more time on my own board.  It gets to where I just run out of time for the things I enjoy sometimes.

Anyway, I'm glad you bought the gas gun.  I was in there again about a week later, and noticed it was gone.  I told them when I took the photo that I was going to post it on the board.

So, the reason I think it came from Baton Rouge is that they told me they had just bought a bunch of items from the Baton Rouge Police Department, one of which I purchased, which is a 1982 vintage Smith and Wesson Model 686 pistol with a 4" barrel.  It is marked "BRPD" under the cylinder.  Please see the photo below.  The case had about 6 gas guns, only one of which was a Fed Labs, which you bought.  It was the first time I'd ever seen gas guns at AIM Surplus.  The other gas guns were two different models of later styles, circa the 1980's.  So while the guy I spoke to did not say that your gas gun came from the BRPD, he implied it when I examined it, and the 686 that I bought.  I told him I already had 2 of the Fed Labs gas guns, but that theirs was an early one that might get collector interest.  I think it came from Baton Rouge with my pistol.

IMG_2420.jpg

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Thanks David, that's interesting. The fella I talked to over the phone could not confirm it came from B.R. but I'm sure that if I had spoke with the right employee that they probably could have confirmed it. That's a great looking Smithy by the way, are you going to leave the Hogue grip on it or put originals back on? With your Knowledge of guns I was wondering if you might know of a reliable gunsmith that could do a timing job on my Colt Python 357. Do you think any reliable local gunsmith could do the job or must it be sent to Colt...?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Right now I plan to keep the Pachmayr grips on it, but I may keep an eye out for a set of original grips.

Unfortunately, I don't have a go to gunsmith for revolvers.  I'm not sure how skilled the Colt service team may be today, so going to a local smith that has a good reputation may be the way to go.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com