Police vs FBI case balance - Old Wives Tale?

StrangerRanger and Bridgeport28A1 thanks for the suggestions.

If I had both Police and FBI cases, I would have done this already.  All I could do is get a directional approximation with my wood case.  Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment to do this, someone else will have to step up if interested.  My first post closed with;

"So, enjoy and perhaps we can have a true scientific repeatable measurement one day."

I did not and was not suggesting that I could take this further, myself.

just loaded up 4 20 round mags and a drum. Here is what I got

Police  13.8 lb on the barrel side   15.12 lb on the receiver side

FBI       14.62 LB on the barrel side    13.91 on the receiver side

Police case is top photo, both made by Greg Fox

20230802_205503.jpg

20230802_204940.jpg

Edited by ppgcowboy
Add copy
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ppgcowboy said:

just loaded up 4 20 round mags and a drum. Here is what I got

Police  13.8 lb on the barrel side   15.12 lb on the receiver side

FBI       14.62 LB on the barrel side    13.91 on the receiver side

Poli e  are is top photo, both made by Greg Fox

20230802_205503.jpg

20230802_204940.jpg

Thanks ppgcowboy

That's what I suspected and could not do myself, that both would tip one way or the other and I was not positive that the Police case would balance better than the FBI case.  My case dimensions just are not the same even if it is reconfigurable.  So, it does appear that there is an Old Wives Tale, OWT, regarding the Police case balancing better.  In your test the FBI case is better balanced.  The Police case weighs 1.3 lbs more on the receiver side and the FBI case weighs 0.71 lb more on the barrel side.  So, the OWT goes down in a cloud of smoke from a "C" drum dump.

1 hour ago, Sig said:

Thanks ppgcowboy

That's what I suspected and could not do myself, that both would tip one way or the other and I was not positive that the Police case would balance better than the FBI case.  My case dimensions just are not the same even if it is reconfigurable.  So, it does appear that there is an Old Wives Tale, OWT, regarding the Police case balancing better.  In your test the FBI case is better balanced.  The Police case weighs 1.3 lbs more on the receiver side and the FBI case weighs 0.71 lb more on the barrel side.  So, the OWT goes down in a cloud of smoke from a "C" drum dump.

Glad to be of help, now I have to figure out a way to unload everything. 

"The FBI supplied all its Thompsons with hard cases...The buttstock is contained in the compartment on the right side of the case, then the box magazines to the left and the drum left of these.  This arrangement is not as intelligent as that of the police model case, because when the magazines are loaded, the case tilts badly to the side with the magazines and drum on it, and is awkward to carry."

Cox, Roger A., The Thompson Submachine Gun, 1982, pg. 43.

• Like 1

Better examples. Do not mind the white stuff on the edges, I was setting up for a Mac10 shoot.

The cases are Greg Fox

The Furniture Dan Block

The trigger housing is a Savage

The receiver is a 28Navy

20230803_105757.jpg

20230803_105314.jpg

Edited by ppgcowboy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Merry Ploughboy said:

"The FBI supplied all its Thompsons with hard cases...The buttstock is contained in the compartment on the right side of the case, then the box magazines to the left and the drum left of these.  This arrangement is not as intelligent as that of the police model case, because when the magazines are loaded, the case tilts badly to the side with the magazines and drum on it, and is awkward to carry."

Cox, Roger A., The Thompson Submachine Gun, 1982, pg. 43.

Great find there Merry Ploughboy, now we know at least some of and likely the original source of the Old Wives Tale.