South Saint Paul Thompson #7744 #8251

I'm in the area, currently in Stillwater, was in Inver Grove until last year. Several folks have told me one of them is on display in the police chiefs office. One retiree that was on Dakota swat told me he shot it in the 90s. If I remember correctly the Thompson on display was recovered in Chicago after the post office incident. I have yet to stop by their office to check it out. I have been to the post office where apparent .45 slug holes can be seen in the brick.

3 hours ago, nate129 said:

I'm in the area, currently in Stillwater, was in Inver Grove until last year. Several folks have told me one of them is on display in the police chiefs office. One retiree that was on Dakota swat told me he shot it in the 90s. If I remember correctly the Thompson on display was recovered in Chicago after the post office incident. I have yet to stop by their office to check it out. I have been to the post office where apparent .45 slug holes can be seen in the brick.

No. 8251 was not stolen by the Barker-Karpis Gang from responding officers outside the Post Office in 1933; Roger Cox claimed that in his book but he was wrong. They took No. 7679.

Cheers

HANS

• Upvote 1

Am also in the area, near White Bear lake where that gang took up residence in a couple summer cottages way back then.

I recall Gordon telling us at dinner in Phoenix  one December (SAR 2006?) That he had found paper records that ultimately led to the discovery of one of the guns in the FBI vault and fanagled it's ultimate return to So St Paul many years ago.

I was just past that Post Office a few weeks ago and believe it's commercially owned now, no longer a Post Office (the lettering was no longer on the front).

Yead ago a downtown playhouse had a run of "Guys and dolls"  and the So St Paul PD displayed one of the guns with a guard (a cop in period uniform).

Neat history.

You locals, if y'all ever want to get together for lunch, there are seceralnifbys in Minnesota. .. and we ain't getting any younger!

John