MP38 recoil assembly problems

I picked up this mp38 recoil assembly for a good price.  Initially I was wondering why the firing pin was not installed.  Now I get it,  something is not right.  I poked through the parts bin and grabbed a mp40 recoil assembly where someone egged out the holes so bad that it gets stuck,  and took that apart.  Well the parts dont match. 

I have a question for y'all. 

What piece am I missing on this bottom MP38 recoil assembly? Some kind of buffer right?  And is this tube supposed to fit inside the end cap?

When I got it this tube was raised so you could not insert a firing pin.  I then removed it with brass hammer but it does not slide in.

image0.jpeg

image3.jpeg

It came with the shiny aftermarket firing pin that does not fit, needs to be sanded.  The rusty aftermarket pin fits in fine.  Its interesting how flat the tip is on the rusty one.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Edited by cavalry

The two piece tube slides into the firing pin retaining nut, and has a spring to give it tension. The FP in then inserted and the firing pin retaing pin is pressed into the nut and through the pin, holding it all together. Then, the assembled firing pin assembly is threaded into the primary recoil assembly. 

Is it just my imagination or is the shiny FP thicker than the rusty one? If so, it may not pass through the bolt smoothly. 

17 minutes ago, cavalry said:

I dont have the buffer rod or spring.  The missing spring is fine, I have some from Wolfe,  but the rod will be fun to find.

Good luck. I bet you'll have to. buy an entire assembly to get that. I've never seen one sold on a stand alone basis.