Safe pressures for NESA BAR?

3 hours ago, Frank Iannamico said:

I have nothing scientific to base my opinion on, but I would not shoot anything other than 150-grain factory ammo out of an (almost) 80-year old gun.

Just my personal .02

You cannot go wrong with that advice.  That would be my opinion as well.

Chappy,

The S & B , 180 gr, 2673 fps ammo in question is very close to the M72 , 173 gr, 2650 fps National Match ammo that the DCM issued and sold for years at the Matches at Camp Perry. It was considered safe in M1 rifles.

Here  is some data from the 2009 IMR reloading manual.

3006,-150 gr bullet , 53 gr IMR 4895, 3009 FPS,- 56,700 PSI.

3006,-165 gr bullet, 52 gr IMR 4895, 2888FPS,-57'200 PSI.

3006,- 180 gr bullet,48 gr IMR 4895, 2680 FPS,-56,800 PSI.

As you can  see the chamber pressure for the 150gr and 180gr is almost identical.

This data only applies to IMR 4895, which was the official US government powder during the 3006 years.

If you want to go easy on your BAR there are other things that might have more effect.

1) reload your own ammo to a slower velocity.

2) Shoot your BAR mostly on SEMI AUTO. (yea I know, but it can done)

3) shoot only short bursts and let the gun cool between mags.

4) totally avoid mindless mag dumps.

Jim C

• 1 month later...

jim c 351

Jim, back in February you sent me an answer to a question. I did not see it but I now have read it. I really appreciate your input. I am having a difficult time shooting mainly in semi and using short bursts but I am only human. Many thanks!

Chappy,

The S & B , 180 gr, 2673 fps ammo in question is very close to the M72 , 173 gr, 2650 fps National Match ammo that the DCM issued and sold for years at the Matches at Camp Perry. It was considered safe in M1 rifles.

Here  is some data from the 2009 IMR reloading manual.

3006,-150 gr bullet , 53 gr IMR 4895, 3009 FPS,- 56,700 PSI.

3006,-165 gr bullet, 52 gr IMR 4895, 2888FPS,-57'200 PSI.

3006,- 180 gr bullet,48 gr IMR 4895, 2680 FPS,-56,800 PSI.

As you can  see the chamber pressure for the 150gr and 180gr is almost identical.

This data only applies to IMR 4895, which was the official US government powder during the 3006 years.

If you want to go easy on your BAR there are other things that might have more effect.

1) reload your own ammo to a slower velocity.

2) Shoot your BAR mostly on SEMI AUTO. (yea I know, but it can done)

3) shoot only short bursts and let the gun cool between mags.

4) totally avoid mindless mag dumps.

Jim C

• 3 weeks later...

I know a guy who was shooting 220 grain round nose surplus hunting rounds out of a open bolt BAR without issue. The Internet is full of horror stories about folks who have damaged Garands by deviating from M2 ball spec 30.06, even some damage from 150 grain milsurp stuff that is aged, like the MKE Turkish ammo that came into the country in 1000 round sealed cans a few years back. But the Garand and BAR are vastly different designs, the beefy receiver with Browning's buffer design allow for more strength in my opinion. I recently fired my Winchester m1918 followed by a 1903 Springfield, same ammo. The effect of that buffer was immediately evident. It seems like a lot of Garand damage with hot ammo happens to the stock rear of the receiver which seems unlikely in the BAR design. 

• Like 1

Good point, I forgot about ArmaSteel in NESAs IBMs and Korean era Royal Typewriters. If memory serves some of the early NESA production may have used steel receivers?

1 hour ago, nate129 said:

If memory serves some of the early NESA production may have used steel receivers?

That is true but where the change took place I would like to know since my BAR was made in the first month of NESA production.

• 4 weeks later...