Dick Wray's Amazing Machinegun Collection

maxfaxdude

Over the past few years, I've acquired several of Dick Wray's machineguns which got me interested in the man and his collection that was auctioned off by Cowan's in 2013.  Does anyone have a good online link to those Cowan's auctions - I believe there were 2 of them.  

header-113-750x250.jpg

Edited by maxfaxdude

I don't know about a link, but I did save a bunch of the pictures that were posted on the COWAN's auction site.
Also, I purchased my 1st Vickers gun out of that collection.

Richard

0PP2771-205x300.jpg

0PP2796.jpg

0PP2829.jpg

0PP2844.jpg

DT_1.png

DT_2.png

DT_3.png

DT_4.png

JAP92_1.png

JAP92_2.png

JAP92_3.png

JAP92_4.png

JAP92_6.png

JPA92_5.png

Lanchester1.png

Lanchester2.png

Lanchester3.png

Lewis&Tripod1.png

Lewis&Tripod2.png

Lewis&Tripod3.png

Edited by APEXgunparts

13 hours ago, maxfaxdude said:

Richard,

Thank you for posting the photos!

He had an incredible collection!

I would post more pictures of the collection, but the site limits the amount of pictures you can post in a thread.

Richard

pp3068.jpg

pp3086.jpg

pp3128.jpg

I think the pictures of the room were just before the auction.  I have pics on a phone, a couple phones ago where there was a lot more stuff.  They were taken a few years before he passed.  

I only recall one auction with the NFA stuff?  I never got a bid in, the prices escalated fairly fast as I recall?

Those guys had great connections and an eye for odd and rare stuff.

Dick definitely had some rare stuff!  These guys jumped in at the right time before interest in machineguns skyrocketed or the awareness that a civilian could own one became well-known.  PJ Heck told me he once traded a '69 GTO bumper for a machinegun (I forget which one). When I said that he (PJ) got a better deal...he just smiled.   In the 1980s, I used to get the Shotgun News and asked my father if we could buy a HK MP5 with Fleming sear (I wasn't 21 yet) for $1,595.   He said just buy a semi-auto HK94 and be done with it.    Yeah BIG mistake there Dad! 

From what info was avaiIable online, I got the impression that there were 2 auctions of at least 100 machineguns each?!?!  

image.jpeg

Edited by maxfaxdude

I don't recall the second auction, but did see references to it and some of the pieces in an SAR online article.  Maybe I lost interest after the first one.  I may have had a catalog at one time?  I still have a catalog from the Stern auction.  Didn't get anything there either....fortunately, since those prices were absurd.

Pricing from the first auction.  I was on the phone for a few lots, but things went beyond what today's values are in some cases? 

https://www.proxibid.com/Cowan-s-Auctions/Firearms-Richard-Wray-Collection-Class-III/event-catalog/65438?lr=1707442935702

I'm also a "late adopter" and missed the glory days when no one wanted most of this stuff.   I know guys younger than me that used to drive to Vollmer's Jewelry store to get their HK fix.  I was totally unaware in those days.   Making up for lost time.