Seymour V stick magazine opinion.

I was given the opportunity to dig into a pile of barn find junk and along with a rusty and abused Savage .22 rifle there was a Seymour “V” stick magazine that hadn’t been modified for a Kahr Auto Ordnance but is cosmetically pretty rough. It survived a Safety-Kleen parts washer bath. Spring, bottom plate and follower all came apart and went back together. I have a Kahr 1927-A-1 that finally works and have been debating about a SBR modification. I’ve already replaced the vertical foregrip with a surplus M1A1 horizontal that the wood closely matches the buttstock.

Anyhow, is that Seymour magazine even in the shape that it’s in worth keeping unmodified or should I go ahead and fit it to my semi’s mag release? The two stick magazines for my ‘27 have the Kahr hole change so if I change the mag release I’m on the hook for two new unmodified stick mags. There’s enough pitting on the surfaces of the Seymour to deter anyone from collecting it IMO, at least to me if I had a real Thompson I wouldn’t display this magazine with it unless it had some sort of historical provenance associated with it.

Post some pictures of the V marked magazine. My first instinct is to do not modify a V marked Seymour magazine for semi-auto use but condition may dictate otherwise. Numrich/Gun Parts appears to have modified quite a few of the V marked magazines that are in collectors hands as semi-modified V magazines are not uncommon.

Is the V marked at the top or bottom front edge?

Definitely go ahead and modify it for your 1927. I seriously doubt anyone interested in a "V" mag would want an example in that condition, they simply are not "that rare". I had many V mags years ago and I sold them for the same price as any other Thompson mag. Generally if people are collecting certain mags for their markings they would want one in at least very good condition. Opinions may vary however, but condition is the biggest issue here.

Edited by Mike Hammer

While I would not consider V marked magazines rare I would say they are not common. They are a very small percentage within the overall number of box magazines I have in my collection. Most of my V magazines were sourced by looking specifically for the V marking variations.

If anyone has a V marked SWCO or AUTO ORDNANCE box magazine they would like to get rid of please contact me via private message.

19 minutes ago, Bridgeport28A1 said:

Post some pictures of the V marked magazine. My first instinct is to do not modify a V marked Seymour magazine for semi-auto use but condition may dictate otherwise. Numrich/Gun Parts appears to have modified quite a few of the V marked magazines that are in collectors hands as semi-modified V magazines are not uncommon.

Bottom front edge.

I've been looking for one for my collection for years, without success. Guess I am on the wrong side of the Atlantic 😟

4 hours ago, Bridgeport28A1 said:

If mine looked as good as the one in dpedersen’s photo I wouldn’t hesitate to keep it original.

I will try to post a photo later on tonight.

15 minutes ago, SparksNArcs said:

Personally, I'd just modify the mag catch on the M1927A1 rather than butcher another original magazine. I did mine with a Dremel and a hand file, it's very easy.

I would but then the two stick magazines that came with the gun will no longer work,correct?

53 minutes ago, SHOVELHEADRIDER said:

I would but then the two stick magazines that came with the gun will no longer work,correct?

Correct, but USGI magazines are generally cheaper than the ones that Kahr sells and can be found occasionally at gun shows.

2 hours ago, SHOVELHEADRIDER said:

Correct. That being said, the semi mags Kahr makes have questionable QC at best and many are so out of spec they’re not fixable so converting GI mags is the only viable option.  When I owned a semi I had the same issue you did where it’s hit or miss if you find semi-converted mags and then also well done semi-converted mags. Either way there’s a conversion that needs to happen so adapting the mag catch is probably easier in the long run and you avoid the conundrum of feeling bad about dremeling an original mag.

7 hours ago, cbmott said:

Correct. That being said, the semi mags Kahr makes have questionable QC at best and many are so out of spec they’re not fixable so converting GI mags is the only viable option.  When I owned a semi I had the same issue you did where it’s hit or miss if you find semi-converted mags and then also well done semi-converted mags. Either way there’s a conversion that needs to happen so adapting the mag catch is probably easier in the long run and you avoid the conundrum of feeling bad about dremeling an original mag.

My Kahr is of the age that both my stick magazines are modified originals.

2 hours ago, SHOVELHEADRIDER said:

My Kahr is of the age that both my stick magazines are modified originals.

You still run into the other issues and Dan Block can fix the two mags if so desired.  Whatever works though.