I am writing in the hope that someone will be kind enough to answer a couple of obscure technical questions regarding the .22 LR "Thompsons" that were manufactured under the Auto-Ordnance name by either Numrich Arms or, later, Kahr Arms during the late '70's to the end of the 80's :-

1) Is the barrel a push fit into the receiver, hence the locking pin that runs through the receiver extension, or is it a conventional, (extremely tight !), screw fit the same as on .45 ACP Thompsons ?

2) Is the muzzle brake a push fit or is it a screw fit, and if so, does it use a custom thread size the same as on .45 ACP Thompsons ?

I would be deeply indebted to anyone who can answer the above two questions for me or tell me where, or from whom, I may be able to obtain the information I desperately require for an engineering project involving an M1927A3 gun.

Sincerely yours, Dave B.

1.  Barrel is not threaded, just push fit with the pin holding it in place.   

Barrel is also aluminum with steel insert liner. 

2.  They ones ive had my hands in seem to be a comp integral with the barrel, not a separately attched thing like the 45 call guns.

The A3 had a glued-on comp. We used the same epoxy that had a 2 set process. 1) spray a epoxy activator on the parts to be joined and then squeeze a thicker glue onto the activator sprayed part. It had a fast grab time so you had about 2 minutes to get the sight alignment tool over the gun and sight for centering. Same glue was used on the barrel liners. The A3 select fire units would come back time to time because the owners would run a few mags threw too quickly and heat the aluminum barrel so much that the liners would slide forward and render the headspace un-fire able. The Customer return full auto 22's would be sent back only if I could achieve a 30 round mag of fire in the 2.6 seconds to empty test time. Most problematic was this bolt hammering would all ways loosen the bolt handle on its pin. That was a Fun job 81-83 ;)

Good Luck with your project.

• Like 1