MP40 Chest / Box identification questions

Hi, I picked up this chest that is marked for MP40's.  It is obviously made by someone having cut down a larger chest or crate, ie the left hand side is the cut side.  The paint and stenciling appear to be wartime, and you can see the faint original markings under the current top paint.  Please ignore the tools inside of the box - that's just how I got it and didn't have clear space to dump them out before taking pics.  Does anyone have any information on this or have you seen something like this before?  Any thoughts on value as I'm likely to sell it.  Thanks!

PXL_20240314_175531854.jpg

PXL_20240314_175603284.jpg

PXL_20240314_175606279.jpg

PXL_20240314_175628310.jpg

"Kleiner behelfs vorratskasten MP40" means, "small makeshift storage box for the MP40"? Maybe a German speaker will weigh in.

Edited by TSMGguy

On 3/15/2024 at 10:09 AM, TSMGguy said:

"Kleiner behelfs vorratskasten MP40" means, "small makeshift storage box for the MP40"? Maybe a German speaker will weigh in.

Sie sind richtig. I think it is an attempt (at some point) to make a "tool box" for MP40 stuff. I have a reproduction MP38u40 transport box and the size is similar, but of course the inside is 100% different. 

Don't see much value there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for providing the comments! 

To the extent anyone might be interested in the box, I put it on ebay with a $1 start and no reserve.  I've set the auction to start on Sunday afternoon as I'm travelling this week and may not be able to answer any questions about it. 

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to attached link here, but will do so if someone will let me know if that's ok.

Thanks again.