Soviet Bloc 1928a1 Parts Kits

Bottom line up front: Are these legit?? Sorry, but I am new to this. With 1928A1's 20-30K I can't understand how these parts kits ( "The Sportsman Guide") which are roughly 2/3 of a WWII era manufactured 1928A1 be only 800.00? I understand the gun's heart and soul is missing with the absent receiver but the price still seems to good to be true.

I am aware the Soviet Union and Tito's fighters in the former Yugoslavia received an incredible amount of Thompsons - I was in Kosovo (Gijilane area) 1999-2000 and confiscated Thompson's (M1A1's) were hardly an event. The price for the 1928A1 kit - minus receiver just seems too good. I'd appreciate your input, I am leaning toward ordering. Also, I am assuming there is some type of major import restriction/tax on fully auto wpns. or we would be getting the entire gun.

By the way, I love this site. It has really helped me in defining all the routes toward Thompson owner ship - Kahr, West Hurley, or original.

Thanks

Tom

Yes, they are legit. Thompson cost thousands of dollars here in this country because

the only original guns available that can be purchased and owned had to be registered

with the government no later than

the end of the amnesty in 1968. So you have an ever growing number of people who

want to own their piece of history competing for a small, fixed number of guns and

the prices skyrocket as a result. Out there

in the world arms market Thompsons sell for as little as $35 because nobody wants them -

at least not to fight with.

Most of them are bought up and broken down into parts and sold to collectors just

like this recent run of m1928A1 kits.

Bob

ok im new here and its my first post.....

recently got one of these kits from sg. it was in fantastic shape. the worst place on it is where they squeezed it in a vice to cut it up. and the price was down to 629.

now as to if it s any good for anything else or not. i dont know. but it is n fantastic shape as advertised. no it didnt have a clip.

Acrobat, Go to page 6 of this board and click on "28 Parts Kit From Sportsman's Guide

Having trouble with this link.

Any way of telling manufacturer on these kits? Cant find markings on mine. Just a AO prefix serial number on mine.

Thanks

DanJ

Edited by gtodan

QUOTE (gtodan @ Jul 31 2006, 07:16 PM)

Any way of telling manufacturer on these kits? Cant find markings on mine. Just a AO prefix serial number on mine.

Yes,

AO would mean Auto-Ordnance Corporation. They built their own plant in 1941 to manufacture the guns for WWII. The only other manufacturer of WWII Thompsons was Savage Arms Co. of Utica, New York. The serial numbers on Savage made Thompsons have an "S" prefix.

The original guns made in 1921 were manufactured by Colt's Patent Firearms under contract from Auto-Ordnance Corporation, New York, N.Y.

I just received a parts kit from Sportsman's Guide along with a set of 20 round mags in the original carrier. The parts are all marked Savage except for the Blish lock which has the AO marking on it. The kit is in perfect condition with no rust, the bore is excellent too. The metal parts are blued but there is some black paint around the barrel-compensator junction. The wood is perfect as well, it was well wrapped in bubble wrap to keep the metal parts from banging them up. The same can be said for the magazine package, all Seymors except one AO mag, and all in like new condition. Maybe I got lucky.