Mp38 Production Cessation

Hi luftwaffefeld, the mp38 production appears to have continued until mid to late 41. Possibly even later! Maybe the tooling or (possibly) design problems? was not quite up to speed for the volume production of the mp40. Also, i am sure that the Germans wanted to get as much life out of the tooling as possible before disposing of it.

Well, the MP38 was more expensive to produce (i.e. the MP38 grip frame was cast, while the MP40 was formed); the MP40 was designed to cut down on the use of expensive tooling. Also, the MP38 was not safe if the bolt was forward (as opposed to being the rear and in its safety housing) when the gun was carried. If the gun got a real jolt in this forward position, the bolt could bounce back, pick up a round, and fire it! So, the MP40 incorporated a 2-piece bolt handle, plus another small cut-out at the top of the end of the bolt travel track (whew!). Then it could be carried with the bolt forward. Pretty ingenious idea.

Note: The Thompsons were safe to carried with the bolt in the forward position. When action was necessary, just cock and fire.

Additionally, the ribbed receiver tubing of the MP38 was more expensive to make than the smooth tubing of the MP40.

There you go; more information than ya probably wanted! Hope this helps. One thing I've always wondered about, with the ribbing versus the smooth...why are MP40 mags ribbed while the MP38's are smooth??? I guess I should be more concerned about the mortgage...and I am.

Cheers,

Ron

Hi Retro gun, Welcome to the boards! The mp38's that you had seen where probably either field modified by the units armorer, or possibly sent to the factory for the modifacation.

The majority of the bolt handles (the new type safety) that i have seen have the code AYF stamped on them. Now, whether Erma was just the first of the manufacturers to tool up for the new style safety or not is a matter of conjecture. But as the mp38/40 had many contractors producing various parts throught Germany as a precaution against parts shortages due to sabotage or allied bombing. It just wouldn't make sense to have just one source for the bolt handle but perhaps this was so..

Ron, i think that the ribing on the mp40's magazines was to reduce the friction on the follower and to give clearance for the accumulated dust /dirt that inevitably made it into the magazine as a further precaution against the jamming problem that plagued the mp38/40.