Usgi M-14 Magazines

TSMGguy

For you guys fortunate enough to possess an M-14 or M1A, you've probably found, as I have, that prices for original USGI M-14 magazines are in the process of going through the roof, with nice, nearly new ones going for around $50. I tried the recent aftermarket items but found the quality to be pretty sad, getting stuck with several of them. The solution may be to legally replace the mag bodies, as I did:

Order USGI new condition mag bodies from www.eliteguns.com at $16.95 each. Order USGI John Masen spring, follower, and floor plate kits (part 453439) from www.midwayusa.com at $9.95 each. Assemble these and throw away or destroy all of the aftermarket parts. Cost: $26.90 for brand new USGI mags. As the bodies are sold as legal replacement parts for mags owned or produced before the hi-cap mag ban, you've violated no laws!

And how again is this not building a new mag from parts? I can see if you use the follower, spring and floor plate from the old (damaged) mag. But sounds like you would be constructing a post '94 new mag. Think I'd be cautious http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif ...at least until the mag restriction ends in 2004 http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

• 1 month later...
The new USGI mag bodies are sold as REPLACEMENT parts, and were used to REPLACE the poor quality commercial mag bodies, themselves pre-ban. These were then destroyed by backing over them with the rear tires of my car. They then went into the trash can. They were that bad. Net gain/loss of magazines: zero. Laws violated: none. The new mag bodies came with stickers on the unbroken GI plastic wrap with legalistic phrases describing their lawful uses, and I retained the stickers. The only problem is that now these are so pristine and new that I hate to take them to the range!