Reising Data Base

levallois

levallois,

Frank Iannamico recently found his printout of a database of 187 Reisings he put together when writing his Reising book in the late 90's. The data had been lost from his computer, but he scanned and forwarded me copies of the printout that he found. No doubt there will be a few duplicates, but it appears we can work together to increase the Reising database significantly.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am a Kiwi, new to this forum and have been an enthusiastic MG collector for the past 30 years. I have a folding stock Model 55 which is ex Guadalcanal and in very good to excellent condition. Quite a few M55's were bought back from the Islands by our troops who were fighting alongside the US Marines. They found that they fitted neatly into a kitbag and a lot wound up being used for pig hunting after the war! I have seen a half dozen over the years that have been so used and they were all 'rough as guts' but still operable. Tidy examples like mine are scarce. Details as follows:

#51304, marked Model 55, P s on barrel, safety with upturned ends, knurled takedown nut, 14 fin barrel without comp, adjustable front sight, blued finish, bottom mounted swivels, 20 rd mag.

Hello Woodsy,

Welcome to the forum.

Could you please post some photos of your old warhorse? I'd love to see what it looks like.

The only combat used 55 I've ever seen is in the National Museum of the Marine Corps, in DC.

P.S. If you post photos start a new thread, to keep it tidy.

Again, Welcome,

Pete A.

Model 60 SN491 has a 14 fin barrel-blued finish throughout. Any other Model 60's observed with 14 fin barrels?

We have one in the DB - #287 that has a 14 fin barrel. Most are smooth. If you give me more info (see the first post in this thread) then I'll enter yours too.

John

I am a Kiwi, new to this forum and have been an enthusiastic MG collector for the past 30 years. I have a folding stock Model 55 which is ex Guadalcanal and in very good to excellent condition. Quite a few M55's were bought back from the Islands by our troops who were fighting alongside the US Marines. They found that they fitted neatly into a kitbag and a lot wound up being used for pig hunting after the war! I have seen a half dozen over the years that have been so used and they were all 'rough as guts' but still operable. Tidy examples like mine are scarce. Details as follows:

#51304, marked Model 55, P s on barrel, safety with upturned ends, knurled takedown nut, 14 fin barrel without comp, adjustable front sight, blued finish, bottom mounted swivels, 20 rd mag.

Thanks! I'll put it in the DB. Could you please let me know if it has finger grooves or cross pins in the stock. I think we'd all love to see a photo or five of your Model 55!

As an aside, I find it curious that these weren't stout enough for fighting in the Pacific but they are good enough for pig hunting, which isn't exactly easy on equipment either.

John

Thanks! I'll put it in the DB. Could you please let me know if it has finger grooves or cross pins in the stock. I think we'd all love to see a photo or five of your Model 55!

As an aside, I find it curious that these weren't stout enough for fighting in the Pacific but they are good enough for pig hunting, which isn't exactly easy on equipment either.

John

Hi John. It has no finger grooves but it does have two factory-fitted screws through the stock which are visible in the photos I posted. Pig hunting is hard on gear, dogs, and hunters! As a gunsmith I get to see the results of some hard hunts quite often!

• 2 months later...

I am a new member to the reising club, I am member here on the thompson side

I just rebuilt a M-60 the stock was beat up and cracked, so I replaced it with a orignal one I had, that is the same style.

I needed to replace the bolt and selector, mag release and springs, finish is about 60% and bore is excellent

serial number - 48x

general type - military marked barrel & receiver blued

proof marks - P & S on barrel top of barrel, punched mark

safety switch- replaced with same style upturned original was blued replacement is parkerized

Cross pins- none

finger grooves- none

knurled take down - no

barrel type- 14 blued

swivels - side mounted

trigger guard- 2 screw blued

adjustible screw front sights- yes

mag well is - 20 round

reloading now for the next range trip

I am posting a picture, I used a knurled screw for this picture but i have since replaced it

post-2962-1294960421_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have Reising Model 50 ser# 830

Commercial model

Blue finish

Down turned safety ends

No proof marks

No sling swivels, pins, or grooves in stock

Non adjustable front sight

2 screw trigger guard

small non knurled take down screw

20 round mag well with big pin mag retainer and grooved release lever

14 fin barrel ( I believe barrel has been replaced.)

Address read from right (ejection) side

Gun is in excellent condition

I have Reising Model 50 ser# 830

Commercial model

Blue finish

Down turned safety ends

No proof marks

No sling swivels, pins, or grooves in stock

Non adjustable front sight

2 screw trigger guard

small non knurled take down screw

20 round mag well with big pin mag retainer and grooved release lever

14 fin barrel ( I believe barrel has been replaced.)

Address read from right (ejection) side

Gun is in excellent condition

carmandan,

It would be great to see pictures of your Model 50, serial number 830.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com