Post Sample 1918a2 Done!

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/4386526/aview/step1.jpg

I'm thought I'd run through a few of the high points for those that might be interested. The Phili ordnance receiver had the front half of the bolt cavity already milled out, so first step was to open up the rest (shown at the top). The next thing was to cut the slots for the bolt rails and slide. The bolt rails are a deep cut and it was tough to find something that would go down that far in approximately the right size, but I found a T slot cutter that was perfect for the bolt rails and the two rails were cut in short order. It was helpful to have blueprints, a couple cut pieces (as shown), and a buddies actual BAR for reference as work commenced. The T slot cutter was a cobalt type and worked great until it hit a sudden hard spot in the steel and then it turned orange INSTANTLY, threw sparks and was done! At that point you could finish with a woodruff bit (though I had to order it and wait another week). There were two hard spots in the steel during the milling and each ruined a mill. 2nd hard spot was taken care of with a carbide mill.

You couldn't of course cut all of the slot with the mill, so I finished the ends with a die grinder, dremil tool and a file (which took about 6-8 hours of hand filing).

• 6 years later...