Wtk: Best Tsmg ('28 Style) For Rental?

I'm not afraid to admit that I don't know the answer to this one, and I definitely don't want to make a mistake!

I've got a lot of requests from clients who want to shoot a '28 style Thompson SMG. My problem is that I'm really not sure what I should get as a rental gun. Can't do post-samples, as I don't have anybody lined up for a letter and don't want to stick money into something that I can't own if my license goes away. (Can't build one myself, as I'm not a manufacturer.) Pre-samples and transferrables are fine.

What would you recommend? I'd like to keep this (stop laughing) as inexpensive as possible. 100% accurate historical authenticity is not needed, as this will be a rental gun. 99.99% of my clients wouldn't know the difference between an original 1921 and a West Hurley. Actually, I don't mind getting into something that needs refinishing or needs to be sent off to br brought into spec (ala West Hurley). Rewelded and REWAT is fine, too.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by prebans

Hello Mike,

IMHO your best choice(s) would probably be a Transferable West Hurley Gun brought up to USGI Spec. or a Pre 86 Sample WW2 Gun. West Hurley's seem to be running around $12,000 lately and I have not seen any pricing on a pre 86 lately. Of course if you can find a transferable WW2 Gun for the right price, that would be the way to go in the long run. If you decide to go the West Hurley route, there is a ton of archived information here related to bringing them up to snuff.

Stay safe

Edited by inertord

Hi prebans,

Welcome to the Board. Interord is right on target. I suggest you frequent the Board for a couple of weeks and read a lot of current and old posts. That will give you a flavor of the Thompson world and help you with your decision. If you decide on a 1928 West Hurley, contact PK to see about a complete overhaul so you have Thompson that will last a long time and run smoothly. I would get Dan Block to make a new set of wood so it will have the right feel. If you do your homework on the Board, you will understand the names I have referenced. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you both very much!

Sounds like both options - a pre-86 DS and a W.H. - could work out very well.

I'll definitely poke around. Dropping four to five figures into something without due diligence isn't how I operate.

Thank you again,

Mike

One other question. I've heard that it's not possible to convert a dedicated .22lr Thompson to standard .45 spec, yet the picture and description at http://www.machinegunbooks.com/nine.html indicate that this Thompson used to be a .22lr.

So, is it possible for .22lr guns to be converted to standard .45 spec? Or was this a special case and generally impossible?

Never mind; found the answer in a search. A possible but a bad idea.

Thank you,

Mike

Edited by prebans