Thompson M1A1 With Suppressor

Gentlemen, I present you with the following examples of silenced military weapons:

Thank you but that was not the question.

I was showing that silencers have been used for military purposes almost since they were invented, which TSMGguy said was against the Geneva Convention. So I think what I posted is completely relevant to the discussion.

I was showing that silencers have been used for military purposes almost since they were invented, which TSMGguy said was against the Geneva Convention. So I think what I posted is completely relevant to the discussion.

Actually the articles or lack there of in the Geneva Convention governing silencers would have been more relevant. Equipment can exist without being in accordance with the convention.

Just to pick a nit , they're called HD-MS pistols . I have one made up ( due to the laws about spare packing material and the 250 rd life of said packing , my replica is made with modern " lifetime-ish " baffle guts ) that was made to duplicate original performance levels . With mini-mags , it is a mild cough . Very much like an air pistol / BB gun level.It would be quieter with less powerful ammo , as was noted , but this serves my purposes ,

I also have a M3 greasegun with a modern Ciener suppressor that is a little quieter shot than dry fired . I guess the brass case prevents the bolt from hitting the barrel , making noise. It is cool.

I also have a little modern copy of the old Maxim suppressor on my WW2 Reising M65 rat rifle. I use sub-sonics in it due to the mini-mags going supersonic in a rifle . Very quiet and accurate.

I highly recommend that everyone should have at least one to play with if they have the means.

Chris

Actually the articles or lack there of in the Geneva Convention governing silencers would have been more relevant. Equipment can exist without being in accordance with the convention.

Ok, here's a link to the articles: http://www.icrc.org/eng/war-and-law/treaties-customary-law/geneva-conventions/index.jsp

I didn't see anything that pertains to the use of silencers.

Edited by NavyEngineer

Ok, here's a link to the articles: http://www.icrc.org/...tions/index.jsp

I didn't see anything that pertains to the use of silencers.

You won't.

Equipment can exist without being in accordance with the convention.

Then why would they have been developed by countries that signed the convention, thereby going against what they agreed to not do?

Edited by Annihilator I

There is a deactivated M1A1, fitted with a suppressor,listed on a UK site, at the moment:

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Deactivated-Submachine-Gun/Thompson-Suppressor-gun-for-sale-gs74762.aspx

Stay safe

Richard

Some photos of the one for sale in the UK at the moment.

Thompson-Suppressor-A74762.jpg

Thompson-Suppressor-B74762.jpg

Has anyone come across an M1A1 with suppressor like this before?

I asked an associate of mine about the suppressed M1A1 that is for sale in the UK at the moment. He had served in the British Army 'Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers' (REME) as an armourer for 22 years, and then went on to serve as a police armourer. He is/ was also a collector of TSMG's and he said "something does not look right about it".

Is it normal for anyone silencing guns that fire .45" ACP, to bother drilling the barrel when the round is sub sonic?

Barrel.JPG

Richard,

The US M3 45 cal SMG, AKA the Grease Gun, had many more holes drilled in the barrel than the one in your picture. It was very quiet but less powerful than the unsilenced M3. According to Frank I , in his book on the m3, the unsilenced M3 would penetrate a steel helmet , but the silenced version would not penetrate. I'm sure a modern silencer fitted to a M3 would not need the holes.

Jim C

I can't state this as first-hand knowledge, but supposedly the .45 ACP can go supersonic in longer barrels. A friend put together one of the Rhineland Arms .45 ACP conversions of the Enfield rifle and was displeased to find that the rounds were breaking the sound barrier out of the 16" barrel. It made the whole project (a silenced .45 ACP carbine) pretty useless.

Stumbled upon a picture of a different model of a suppressed M1 in the Martin Pegler book "The Thompson Submachine gun" on page 29. This one does not have the fore grip cut off though, the suppressor sits on top of it!