Who Gets The Transfer Papers

Could you guys clear something up. My 28 is with a Class III dealer and is awaiting transfer to me. Will the stamps be sent to the dealer or me? I know that I will eventually get them, but I wonder which mailbox they will arrive in. Might save me some neck strain, everytime I come up the driveway.

Incidentally, it's going on 8 months now, since BATF cashed my check. I had to correct a mistake on the form in Nov. and sent it back to them. Wouldn't you guess that I should hear something by next month?

Sgt...you are the transferee, soooo...your dealer or the person you bought the tmsg will recieve the paper work first. I find the waiting time depends on the dealer who handles the deal,for the most part.Call him, request that he inquire with the NFA,ATF,etc....I assume he is making some profit on this deal,as he should... then make sure he earns it. I` ve had dealers call and shake it up a little and got results.I`ts your money and time...get your monies worth! OK that`s my rant,I feel better now. Good Luck and rest assured you are not alone in your waiting on NFA. KEEPEM`SMOKIN`(when you get`em),out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Thanks guys for the advice. The dealer has called a couple of times, but can't get past the ATF operator, who gives the same answer, "pending." We did confirm that the paperwork was received after the corrections were made, so at least it wasn't lost. I'll give it a few more months before I really start to worry.

Arthur--

Is there any protocol that would allow me to speak to the examiner, just to make sure the application is not misfiled or something worse?

I'm not Arthur but,

You have every right to speak with the examiner, if the “DO” word was circled in box 9 on the bottom of the application giving ATF authorization to disclose information to you.

Be persistent with the watchdog who first answers the phone; they work for you!

Sgt,

Even though your dealer put in a call, I would suggest calling yourself. Once the app goes to pending, it should not take much more than a month to approve. Did the dealer tell you the date ATF told him it was pending? Was this a 50% down, and 50% due upon transfer, or all up front deal? Sometimes the dealer is not as motivated as the buyer when it comes to being a sqeaky wheel.

What PK says!!!!

Pk--

The dealer didn't check anything in box 9, so does this means that I won't be able to inquire directly with the Examiner? I did get the Examiner's contact info.; he is Rob Howard. I checked his unofficial rating on one of the sites, which indicates that he has one of the worst track records. One good thing is that I now have his supervisor's name. I think I'll get some letters out.

Arthur--

Yea, the dealer was the one who told me of the "pending" status. I followed up with a call to ATF and got the same answer. Unfortunately, I had to pay everything up front, including the dealer commission for an out-of-state transfer. The gun now sits in my dealer's safe, in my state. The dealer does seem to be trying, but can only get as far as the examiner's answering machine.

There is a ‘do’ and a ‘do not’ in box 9, the transferor is supposed to circle one or the other. If neither was chosen I would adopt the attitude that it was ‘do’ and see where it took me. I don’t think the receptionist has access to that info, but the examiner will.

Bad luck on your examiner- whatever you do, don’t piss him off or you might be in real limbo not just lackadaisicalville. If worse comes to worse, your congressman’s office has proven to be a good kick starter.

Why do we have to even deal with this horse pattute? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif