Realistic Selling Price Of A Wwii '28

I'm thinking about trying to find another nice WW II '28 for my collection, either a Savage or a Bridgeport. Assuming I find the typical '28 of either Savage or Bridgeport mfg. what should I realisticly expect to pay? The only one I've seen lately is the one for $21K on Sturm, I hope this guy is crazy and I don't have to pay THAT much for one. Any thoughts on real world selling prices are most appreciated!

Hell offer the guy $12k and see where he goes from there. if he doesn't want to gouge you like some dealers do these days, he'll go for it. After all, he can only say no, I need more.

Hell offer the guy $12k and see where he goes from there

Emmagee, be VERY careful. Offering less than 60% of the asking price will net you the following:

1. Buyer does not have the money to really buy the gun

2. Buyer has NO concept of the current market (hint, hint Mike).

3. Buyer is looking to steal the gun hoping that the seller is desperate.

4. Buyer is a dealer fishing for a deal and a quick buck.

In other words, the seller won't take you seriously. Why should he? After all he probably has had plenty of emails offering him more. More than likely you will get a quick "No thanks..." I have know many a Thompson buyer that is at his wits end looking for a good Thompson and will pay more than he really wants too just to lock in the gun and seal the deal. I still think I got robbed paying 10K for mine. I started looking when the prices were around 8K, but when decision time came around prices had changed and I had to pay the piper. Glad I did. You will be too.

Good uncut WW2 Savage guns are bringing $16K and better. 21K seems high, but so did 10K in early 2002.

Good luck in your endeavors...

John Jr

A friend just sold his 28 savage for right around 20K. Good luck finding one for less these days. I know I would not take less than 20k for my Bridgeport if I were to sell it. Good deals are probably here and there, but are not as common as a few years back. Roland

Jr, I do know what the current market is gouging at and I think it is nothing but pure greed. There are deals, like a Colt in a FBI case w/original drum for $13k. A military M1 for 11K. It just depends on where the gun is coming from. Just to give you an idea, my M1 I bought last year, I gave $7k for it. A very well known dealer offered the department $750 for it and said they would be lucky to get much more! That same dealer sold one just like mine last week for $16k. I would call that pure greed. The prices will continue to climb if people are willing to pay them. I know there are limited numbers and more interest every day, but where will it stop? Do you go out and pay sticker price on a new car? Did you give asking price for your house? No. You offer lower and all they can do is come back and say I need xx for it. If you give the asking price for car, houses, guns, then a fool and his money parts. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif I know I work hard with manual labor every day to make my dollars, and I'll be as tight as I can with it.

Mike, what do you suppose the current owner would take for that Colt/drum/FBI case combo? $15,600 would be +20%. Probably not I'm thinking. I wish, I wish, I wish I had been the buyer and I'm damned glad I wasn't the seller.

Bob D

He bought it and told the seller he would not sell it, but keep it in his collection. That was how he got the deal if I remember right. Same way i got the M1, it goes to my collection and not reselling it off for the profits! And if he does sell the Colt, I get first shot as I helped him on his information about it. That's because I'm a nice guy. Contrary to popular belief. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

i know of a Savage '28 rewat with bridgeport drum and original canvas carry case selling for $17.5K recently.

you rarely see thompsons being mentioned as rewats. i've seen only a handful for sale that mention they are rewats. i think there a lot of people out there that are lying about the original status of their thompson. these days if you buy a dewat thats on a form 5, you can transfer it on a form 4. after that, there is no paper trail of it ever having been a dewat, unless someone does a FOIA, and not a lot of people do those. i think there are a lot or rewats out there and people don't know it.

I'm a nice guy. Contrary to popular belief.

Mike,

Anyone that kills Barney is OK in my book! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Norm