Help on a 1921 Colt Thompson

If anyone has the Roger Cox book I would appreciate some information on my 1921 Colt Navy Over Stamp. I am looking for the date that the gun was purchased by Nassau County Police Department. Please email me at spusa1@verizon.net

I have the book by Herigstad.

Thanks

If anyone has the Roger Cox book I would appreciate some information on my 1921 Colt Navy Over Stamp. I am looking for the date that the gun was purchased by Nassau County Police Department. Please email me at spusa1@verizon.net

I have the book by Herigstad.

Thanks

drmustang66,

I don't believe that the partial list of serial numbers in the Roger Cox book has the dates shipped to the end user. The dates listed are the dates the finished guns were stored at the Colt's/Auto Ordnance warehouse, I believe.

Herigstad's book lists ten guns owned by the Nassau County Police Department, but as I'm sure you already determined, no shipping dates. Herigstad's final work had many original shipping dates but was not 100% complete. It is likely the ten guns were shipped in smaller purchases at different times due to the spread in serial numbers, especially #'s 425 and 1854. I would try going back to the source, if you haven't already done so or file a FOIA search with BATF. Good luck.

One out of print book I don't recommend buying at an outrageous price is, Notes on Auto Ordnance, Second Edition, by Jim Bannan and Tracie Hill. Many books have been written since that provide much better information. However, when you do original research, you need a good library of everything published on the subject matter. I purchased my copy years ago and had Jim Bannan sign it at one of the Houston Astrohall gun shows. Tracie's signature came much later. And Bannan was quite the character.

I do like Notes on Auto Ordnance, Second Edition, for the shipping date information from Colt's to Auto-Ordnance. It is easy to reference by serial number only at the back of the book. The Nassau County Police Department 1928 NAVY I featured on Page 60 of my book shipped to Auto-Ordnance between August 29th and September 17, 1921, one of three guns.

Post the serial number of your Nassau County Thompson or send me a PM and I will let you know what information is available on your particular Colt's.

I believe Tracie still has a few copies of this book available but he does not actively market it. If attending the All Thompson Show & Shoot and interested in obtaining a copy, ask Tracie for a copy,

Some of the ten guns were sold to customers before shipping to Nassau County. 2505 went to a dealer in NY as a 21A then as a Navy Over stamp to Nassau as one of ten. I did file a FOIA but that may take 10 months.

drmustang66,

Are you suggesting that the Dealer in NY sent the Model of 1921A back to Auto-Ordnance for conversion to a 1928 Navy Model before being sold to the Nassau County Police Department? I would believe it was more likely that Nassau County sent their guns back to Auto-Ordnance to conversion to the 1928 Navy Model at some point.