• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tricky9914

tricky9914

• Regular Group
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:27 AM

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any pre-sample MG42's on the registry? I have only been in the NFA world for about 10 years or so, but I have never seen a pre-sample MG42 in the wild... Of course, I have seen a couple dozen transferrables come up for sale over the past few years, and many pre-sample MG34's. But never a pre-sample MG42. Are they out there? If so, where abouts do they land price-wise? Thanks!

#2 Black River Militaria CII

Black River Militaria CII

Industry Expert

• Regular Group
  • 843 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:51 AM

Over many, many years I've encountered probably half a dozen pre-May 42s so I imagine there are bound to be more than that. However, they are quite scarce as you note, compared to MG34s.
Due their scarcity, the usual thumb-rule formula for valuing pre-Mays at about half the value of a transferable in comparable condition, the 42s would bring more but how much more will be up to the seller and buyer. One was sold last year for about 3/5s of what a transferable would bring, if I recall correctly, if that is any help.
They don't show up for sale very often. FWIW

#3 tricky9914

tricky9914

• Regular Group
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the information! I would love to have an MG42, but don't quite want one at the transferable prices. It seems a pre-sample would be in the 20's, if one could be located. Thanks again!

#4 maxfaxdude

maxfaxdude

• Regular Group
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:All stuff NFA

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:23 AM

I saw a pre-sample MG 42 in a private collection this May.  He also had a rare fully transferable MG3.