• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 85th Engineer

85th Engineer

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:55 PM

Took a trip to D.C. this past week to let Dad see the WWII Monument. We stopped off at the NRA Headquarters to visit the National Firearms Museum. The William B. Ruger Gallery is featuring a Thompson exhibit titled "On The Side of Law and Order". It is worth the visit, along with the rest of the museum. Really first rate.

#2 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 06:34 AM

Yes, the exhibit is a super tribute to the inventors and developers of the Thompson in all of its incarnations. A big vote of appreciation is due to Tracie Hill for bringing it all together, the NRA for having the exhibit, and to all of those who have loaned their Thompsons and the many extremely rare accessories for the show. Many of the contributors are Forum members.

#3 TOMMY SMG

TOMMY SMG

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:My interests are four wheeling, target shooting, JD 4020 tractors, chating with you guys on this site and my Thompson SMG collection.

Posted 15 October 2004 - 10:47 AM

For those of us that can't make it sad.gif to DC to see it, could anyone post some picks for everyone to enjoy. smile.gif Sounds like a great exhibit SecondAmend.

Thanks.

Jim wink.gif

#4 85th Engineer

85th Engineer

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 12:21 PM

I've got pics of each display. Will post them later this evening when the wife gets home with the disc.

#5 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4581 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 15 October 2004 - 12:22 PM

I just deleted about 25 pix off my web site. I'll see if I can find them again and post a couple.

#6 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1630 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 03:08 PM

Better than online pics buy a catalog from the museum.

#7 TOMMY SMG

TOMMY SMG

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:My interests are four wheeling, target shooting, JD 4020 tractors, chating with you guys on this site and my Thompson SMG collection.

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:15 PM

85th Engineer and Mike, that would be most kind of you guys wink.gif , and thanks for the web site Sig wink.gif , I may just order that catalog from the museum as well.

Thanks

Jim biggrin.gif

#8 Uncle Dudley

Uncle Dudley

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Hot Rods and Thompsons

Posted 16 October 2004 - 06:36 AM

Order catalogs and posters of the exibit you won't regret it. Phone number: 703-267-1614 gets right in to the museum store. I just finished placing my 3rd order for catalogs and posters. The catalog is a "MUST" for sure. Shipping is prompt and the employees at the store are very pleasant. They are $9.95. Uncle Dudley

#9 Reenactor

Reenactor

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 08:43 AM

Health issues didn't allow me to make it to the TCA show there in August, but I made two trips through the Museum with different sets of relatives on a recent trip to DC. My wife was even courteous enough to sit in the Ruger Gallery while I explained the differences and similiarities between what was on display, and each of my 21s, to my youngest son. I keep buying more issues of the catalog to give to friends to show them the "artistic" aspects of our hobby, and also to point out a picture of my oldest and me seriously at work. This is a beautiful exhibit, and a genuine, if a bit late, acknowledgement and maybe even show of acceptance of the full-auto community as members of the NRA family. Tracie and the TCA really did a great job, here.

#10 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:55 AM

Reenactor, or anybody else,
Do you know if the catalogues are offered for sale through the mail or web?
I would love some, Thanks, Zamm

#11 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1630 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 10:12 AM

I am not aware of the catalogs available on any website.
Just call and they will bill you and send off by mail.

#12 Kevin

Kevin

• Regular Group
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes
    Guns
    Hot Rods

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:15 PM

I was at the NRA museun yesterday with my nephew. My only complaint was that non of the drums were open. He would have liked to see what the insides looked like. Other than that it was great biggrin.gif
Kevin

#13 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4581 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 19 October 2004 - 08:01 PM

Here you go Kevin........It's a Bridgeport "L" drum.

user posted image

#14 Kevin

Kevin

• Regular Group
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes
    Guns
    Hot Rods

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:02 PM

laugh.gif Thanks Mike laugh.gif
Kevin