Iíve Been Messing With Actuators

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 07 November 2003 - 09:24 PM

I have been thinking about this for a while but finally got a customer who just expected me to produce, so I bit the bullet, made the tooling and re-machined the stock 27a actuator into one very closely approximating a smooth Savage. I know the question of checkering will arise; yes it can be done but would you really want it? The smaller knob looks good but is harder on your hand than even the big stock actuator. If left smooth, it is less likely to take skin with it, even less likely than the knurled stock actuator. I feel the smooth is the best of both worlds.

user posted image
Modified Kahr Actuator (in the white)

user posted image
The three actuators shown are stock Savage, the modified Kahr and a stock Kahr.

#2 Fencer

Fencer

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:WWII U.S. military weapons, Air to Air combat. Jack Russells Rule!

Posted 07 November 2003 - 09:45 PM

That looks excellent PK! wink.gif

#3 Bisley45

Bisley45

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, 1911's, Collect & Shoot Colt Pistols and Revolvers, American Civil War, anything that shoots

Posted 07 November 2003 - 09:54 PM

I agree with Fencer, looks a lot better

#4 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 10:59 PM

Yah, the Heritage Foundation, Franklin Mint, etc, were selling knurled versions of these for the Westy 1927A1's several years back.

#5 Mario Scarpino

Mario Scarpino

• Regular Group
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 11:00 AM

PK,

I know how much Doug R. gets for his knobs. How much for one of yours that is knurled for the 27A1? I'm not interested in a smooth type, even if its easier on the skin. I asked you about this very item about 2-3 weeks ago, but it might have been someone else that got you "really" thinking about it. I'm glad you think so clearly!!!

Mario

#6 Bob

Bob

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 705 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 11:35 AM

Knurling a ball would be tough, especially with the slot blink.gif . Would think checkering would be a preferred method. Every thing has a priceÖ Just how much you got to spend?

#7 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 08 November 2003 - 02:45 PM

Mario, please donít be offended. I have received many inquiryís asking if I made this type of actuator since DR is out of stock. I simply have not had the time to consider manufacturing them new and donít anticipate being able to do so in the near future. The part shown is from a gun which I am currently servicing and as a part of that, specific request (demand) was made which resulted in my taking the time to set it up.

I have received questions since posting from others who would like to have their parts done in like fashion. It would seem that $40 would re-machine, blue and return a part to the customer as a smooth actuator. Checkering would add about $30 I would guess. If it can be done for less, it will cost less.

Sure does make a difference in the appearance of these guns.