Considering Semi Auto Purchase,advice Requested

Approximately 13 years ago I purchased a West Hurley 1927A1 new in box,Had numerous issues with it and sold it. I am again considering purchasing another semi auto variant but am hesitant due to the issues that Kahr has exhibited in their product,And their lackluster customer service reputation. The two paths I am considering in picking up a newer Kahr model 1927A1 with the detachable stock, Or picking up a used West Hurley/Kahr and having it worked over (shortened barrel to 16",M1928A1 lower,bolt hold open,ect). What on average,May I ask does it usually cost to have one redone in this fashion? I would much prefer to go either with an original Thompson,Or a semi SBR "Thompson" but as I live in Washington State,This is not an option. Thank you very much for your assistance and input.

First off, let's face it; a semi-TSMG is nothing but a novel fun-gun. We're here to have fun with these, not deer hunt with them, so in that respect - we're all already off the practicality charts, so go fo it if you want some fun shooting.

As for a Kahr "TSMG"; I had nothing but good experiences with Kahr cust support.

I bought an AOC 1927A1C deluxe in the mid-90s, and promptly put it in the back of the safe, pretty much for almost a decade. Layoff and job-loss, under-employment, reduced income - bunch of factors to take me away from the range for a lonnnng time.

Years later, with AOC gone and now under Kahr, I finally dragged my still-NIB AOC out to the range.

Had a HUGE issue that made it a worthless paperweight in under 50rds.

Contacted Kahr, explained the situation politely, sent digi-pics - they helped me out at no cost at all. They couldv'e been nasty but were not.

Months later, I buy one of the now-legal 50rd drums; one of the much maligned Kahr drums in a Gunbroker buy with no over-the-counter sales receipt. Had an issue, contacted Kahr support, swapped drums - new one runs fine.

I personally would not hesitate to buy a Kahr "TSMG" if I were suddenly to be in the market for another. I've seen 'em up close and the wood alone is MUCHO better than the AOC "slabs" mine has.

I'd get a detachable-stock 1927 in a heartbeat. Well, maybe after a coin-flip for the "TSMG" pistol.

JM2cents.

I have had one transaction with Kahr.

The barrel bushing of my AOC Pit Bull broke. I called AOC, and got a message that Kahr had bought them. Called Kahr and spoke to a woman in parts. Ordered the part, and paid with my credit card right then (part was about 8 dollars, shipping was 13).

A month later, when the part had not arrived, I called again, and got a recording saying that Kahr did not take parts orders over the phone, and I would have to send a letter. I sent the letter to the attention of the woman I bought the part from. Nothing.

A month later I sent another letter, to the attention of the president of Kahr, and mentioned how I would hate to get an attorney involved. The part arrived in about 2 weeks, although I never heard anything from Kahr. Not, "I'm sorry", not, "Our bad", not, "Oops", not even, "Kiss off".

I feel that you should not have to wait two months and threaten a lawsuit to get what you paid for.

I have no intention of dealing with them again, if I can help it.

I was also looking for a semi not long ago --I found old posts on different forums ---couldn't decide if I should believe the Kahrs rule or Kahrs are junk or the same concerning the West Hurleys ---I finally bought a West Hurley on line ----wasn't all that pleased when the "low" serial number indicated the gun was made in 1997 ---middle of ban, just before Kahr bought and fixed all the West Hurleys

but turns out the thing runs like a top ---- at 25 yards it is right on --never failed to feed; never failed to fire; never failed to do anything

maybe I just live right, have good karma, lucky son of a gun ---or maybe there are a bunch more good guns out there and a lot of the stuff you mind find on the 'net is just wrong

good luck

I adjusted the rear sight --that's why there are two sets of holes:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e208/gsdlvr/uploads/Thompson1927A1target1.jpg

Thank you very much Gentlemen for your input and opinions,I value them! If for some reason I do decide to go with a new Kahr model can I replace the rear sight assembly with an original Lyman assembly just utilizing the original screw method of attachment? If I settled on one of the Kahr guns that would be something I would like to immediately upgrade.

Thank you very much Gentlemen for your input and opinions,I value them! If for some reason I do decide to go with a new Kahr model can I replace the rear sight assembly with an original Lyman assembly just utilizing the original screw method of attachment? If I settled on one of the Kahr guns that would be something I would like to immediately upgrade.

A few years ago I purchased a 1927a1 from one of the members of this board. It was the delux model. I love it. It runs great and I haven't had any issues with it. I purchased a horizontal foregrip from Dan Block and I am very happy with that as well. I still need to get the barrel shortend but I still have almost three more years in Germany so that will have to wait.

I, too, have a ban-period West Hurley 1927-A1 Deluxe and have had no problems with it (that were not ammo related, anyway). I bought it used and it came with one 30-round stick and one 10-round drum. I just received a "Crosby-repro" L drum, but have not yet fired it.

(incidentally, how can I determine exactly when mine was made...is there a published list? Call Kahr? Buy a book?)

I have considered having the barrel shortened, too, but it looks like it will only end up where the Cutts starts now. I'm not sure it is worth it for such a small shortening (in WA, too, so no SBR). What about the other mods you mention? What do they "do" for you? I'd like mine to COCK a little easier and maybe put on a horizontal forend, but that would probably do it for me!

Rob

Edited by Teddydog

You'll have fun with a 1927a1. It's really doesn't matter if you get a WH or a Kahr semi. They are both good guns for the most part. WH gun has their share of problem just like the Kahr guns. I would say that Kahr has made an effort to fix SOME of it's problems and add some nice features since WH made them. I pretty much made a project X gun and you could do the same if you have the time and the money. There is a great wealth of knowledgeable people here that can help you out. Just look at the FAQ and use the search function to help you out.

I, too, have a ban-period West Hurley 1927-A1 Deluxe and have had no problems with it (that were not ammo related, anyway). I bought it used and it came with one 30-round stick and one 10-round drum. I just received a "Crosby-repro" L drum, but have not yet fired it.

(incidentally, how can I determine exactly when mine was made...is there a published list? Call Kahr? Buy a book?)

I have considered having the barrel shortened, too, but it looks like it will only end up where the Cutts starts now. I'm not sure it is worth it for such a small shortening (in WA, too, so no SBR). What about the other mods you mention? What do they "do" for you? I'd like mine to COCK a little easier and maybe put on a horizontal forend, but that would probably do it for me!

Rob

The horizontal forend that I bought from Dan is longer than an original so it helps to fill the gap. It looks a great deal better. If you shorten the barrel two inches it looks even better. I considered doing a bolt hold open mod but I probably won't. I only use the drum for display and you can lock the bolt to the rear anyway so I don't see it as a major issue.