M1 Front Sight

Is the site threaded, press fit and or set up for pinning. Do you have a pin?

-Darryl

The front sight is supposed to be tight enough that you have to drive

it on. If it just slides on you have a problem. Epoxy will not hold up when

the barrel gets hot. What you can do is epoxy it in the proper position

and that will hold it so you can drill it and pin it without it moving.

Bob

The front sight is supposed to be tight enough that you have to drive

it on. If it just slides on you have a problem. Epoxy will not hold up when

the barrel gets hot. What you can do is epoxy it in the proper position

and that will hold it so you can drill it and pin it without it moving.

Bob

No threads and no pins.

I have 2 sights one slides on All the way with force and a twist, the other slides on about 1/2 way and no further. I dont have the means to drill for a pin.

How many mags would it take (semi auto) to heat the barrel enough to cause failure of JB Weld?

They use the stuff on manifolds I think.

Just thinking out loud.

I'd get a pinned GI site and do as Bob says. If you can't drill it yourself, take it to a gunsmith.

Another option would be to install the tight site on the barrel with one of Doug R's ring site installation tools

and see if it stays put. Either way you'll need the installation tool, or make one yourself.

-Darryl

If you have no way to drill & pin, use the JB on the slip fit sight- you should be ok on a semi gun. Worst case- it comes off.

Correctly executed drilling and pinning needs to be done either in a fixture designed for the purpose, or in a milling machine.

A new sight will not yet be drilled for the pin. So if it is a tight fit

you can actually get away with not pinning it - until you accidentally

knock or bump the sight against something in which case it might

move, but you can always tap it back into position. Any sight that

has the hole in it is a take-off. I don't know why ordnance would bother

to remove the sight from a barrel, because they were not going to

put them back on anything, but I've got hundreds of them. Who

knows...

Bob

A new sight will not yet be drilled for the pin. So if it is a tight fit

you can actually get away with not pinning it - until you accidentally

knock or bump the sight against something in which case it might

move, but you can always tap it back into position. Any sight that

has the hole in it is a take-off. I don't know why ordnance would bother

to remove the sight from a barrel, because they were not going to

put them back on anything, but I've got hundreds of them. Who

knows...

Bob

Thanks for the offers and advice. I made a tool (bolt, heavy washer, wrapped the threads with masking tape) and banged it on, it aint gona move. It would have been easier to JB it. The next thing I may do is the easy take down modification, but I need to think on it. Again thanks to Phil for the front sight offer, and advice offered from others, appreciate it.

Anyone ever try heat instead of force? I never tried this on a TSMG sight, but it works on lots of other stuff. Put the sight that won't slide on in the oven and get it up to 300-400 F(not so hot it hurts the finish). Keep the barrel cold. Then see if it slides on. When the sight cools it should shrink and be nice and tight.

Since shooting causes the barrel to heat with or before the sight, it shouldn't come loose.

Again, I never tried this on a sight, but it works on other things that are normally pressed in place, like bearings on some car parts.

-wwiifirearms

And put the bbl'd reciever in the freezer the night before.

1) Increases the temp difference making an easier fit.

2) Gives you something to rub your ??? on after it touches the heated part.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Stainless, Chromebolt is right on this, heat= expansion, cold = contraction.

Haven't you seen the Seinfeld episode where G. Constanza explains shrinkage?

-Darryl

About the only substance that expands with cold is water (the can of Coke is mostly water), and even then it only expands when it reaches the freezing point. The unique shape of water molecules forms a crystal structure when they align during freezing which causes them to expand. Water also expands when heated (try boiling your can of coke), which makes water quite special.

Steel, like most substances will expand when heated because the molecules vibrate more when heated. It contracts when cooled becaused the molecules vibrate less. Of course at absolute 0 (about -273 degrees C) all vibration would stop, in theory, and matter would take on a whole new set of properties. I'd go into more detail, but it gets into pretty heavy quantum mechanics, and it won't really help you get your front sight on. However, heating the sight and cooling the barrel should help.

-wwiifirearms

Edited by wwiifirearms

I've tried cold and it works with bearings. Cold causes things to expand,, put a Coke bottle in the freezer overnight and you'll see what I mean

??? I worked for 33 years at New Departure-Hyatt Bearings and it doesn't work with bearings. Coke ain't steel.

Edited by Shattered

To be specific, water has the smallest volume/greatest density at 4 degrees C. As it gets colder the water expands and then freezes at 0 C after losing the latent heat of fusion. Ice is approximately 90% as dense as liquid water which makes ice float and breaks Coke bottles in the freezer.

As for metals, each has a "Coefficient of Thermal Expansion" which allows you to calculate size changes as a function of temperature change. These values are available in Mechanical Engineering handbooks.

For example, aluminum expands about twice as much per degree change in temperature as steel. Engineers use these values to calculate dimensions for appropriate shrink fits.