West Hurley Smg Parts

I have decided to catalog all known parts manufactured by AOC, West Hurley, New York, for the West Hurley 1928 and M1 submachine guns for a future story. There have been several very good stories about the WH Thompson published in the past but no one has attempted to catalog all the different parts variations. I have already reached out to several Board members who have a quantity of WH parts. I would appreciate everyone's support.

I plan to post one part at a time on the Board for comments. While this story will always be a work in progress, I want it to be as complete as possible on the first run. If you have any comments, disagreements, or know of other variations or anything that may be helpful, please let me know by posting or contacting me directly by e-mail at: tkd5501@fuse.net

The first topic will be barrels. I have found two variations so far. The top barrel is off an early WH Thompson; the bottom barrel is off a later production WH Thompson. The differences are easy to see. What am I missing? Are their other WH barrel variations? I am interested in everyone's thoughts. There are a lot of West Hurley Thompson owners on this Board. Let's make this a Board story.

TD.

WH_barrels_resize_MGB.jpg

Tom, good luck with this new endeavor. Are there variations in Cutts attachment methods on the SMG? BTW, that lower barrel looks mighty nice for a Westy.

Bob D

Bob,

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, it is a good looking barrel. I have seen several like it on WH Thompsons. The top barrel is actually off my West Hurley. The fins are sharp enough to cut you! I look forward to hearing from everyone on the Board with a WH 1928 Thompson.

I will do a different thread on WH compensators in the future. I believe I know the attachment method you are talking about! I am going to save my comments until then.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
I appreciate the e-mails and information. I am going to bump this to the top again so everyone will have a chance to see it and respond if they know of another WH barrel variation. I will be starting a new thread soon with another WH part.

Hawkeye_Joe,

I would not think the fatter fins dissipate heat better that the thinner fins but I am no expert in this area. ReconBob or PK would probably be the ones to ask. Of course, barrel fins were done away with during WWII and the Thompson guns ran fine.

I believe AOC WH made the barrels with fat and unrounded (sharp) fins because it was a cheap way to manufacture this part. Apparently, these early barrels were not very well received because the latter barrels do look a lot better. I also think the latter barrels function better, but this is just conjecture on my part - I have no data to back up that statement.

Great question. Thanks!

Matt in Pdx,

I have never seen a manufacturer marking on a barrel manufactured by AOC West Hurley.

Does it have a compensator attached?

Can you post a picture or send a picture to me at my e-mail address, above.

The barrel does have a small v mark on the first fin (close to the chamber end). It is threaded for a compensator. The threads have not been drilled to pin the compensator on. The section of the barrel with the compensator threads is longer meaning that it has more of a threaded section than the GI barrels I have. The section of the barrel that has cooling fins is also smaller than the GI barrels, and the cooling fins are wider than the GI barrels. It looks like the picture of the early barrel you posted. I will work on taking a photo.

The barrel does have a small v mark on the first fin (close to the chamber end). It is threaded for a compensator. The threads have not been drilled to pin the compensator on. The section of the barrel with the compensator threads is longer meaning that it has more of a threaded section than the GI barrels I have. The section of the barrel that has cooling fins is also smaller than the GI barrels, and the cooling fins are wider than the GI barrels. It looks like the picture of the early barrel you posted. I will work on taking a photo.

Your description sounds like a Reising Model 50 barrel.