Bdm Thompson .22 Kit

This is old news but I have to comment on this kit. I bought mine months ago and didn't really try it out until much later. The first thing I noticed was the kit needed to be “dressed” some with a stone to get it to slide smoothly in a 28 Savage receiver. This should have been done during manufacturing in my opinion. Never the less the kit is well made and should last forever. After tinkering around a bit with main springs, I got the thing working pretty well - tons of cheap fun!

Here are the things I think need correcting; The 28 style actuator knob supplied with the kit is too tall and worse, it scrapes the finish on the receiver. You'll see what I mean the first time you turn the gun upside down resting on the rear sight and the actuator knob. The tall knob also scrapes the velvet in my hard case so watch for that. I don't like having to remove the original ejector to install the barrel insert. The missing ejector looks odd so I replaced it with an M1 style ejector while using the .22 kit. It fits fine and allows the insertion and removal of the barrel insert with no problem. This could have been avoided with one extra machining step. I also found it necessary to form a radius on the leading edge of the extractor to improve function. Hopefully BDM will fix this stuff on future kits. But, even with these minor issues - the kit is well worth owning.

After playing with the kit for a week or two I sent it to Merle Bitikofer. We discussed the minor problems I encountered and Merle went to work. The kit came back a week or so later and what a difference! Merle replaced the oversized actuator with a GI knob that drastically improved the fit and function - no more scraping the receiver. He beefed up the extractor and applied the proper radius. To solve the ejector/barrel insert issue, Merle machined a grove in the barrel insert that accommodates the .45 ejector during use of the kit. He modified the magazine followers to improve feeding and tested everything. Then he modified one of my BDM .22 drums to work flawlessly with the kit. This thing was pretty good as is but it's fantastic since Merle reworked it. Now it sings!

If you have one of these and you’re not quite happy with it, send it to Merle. You won't believe the difference.

1921a

Ed Biggar here with my new Black Dog Machine TOM22-kit. I just got my kit from Merle Bitikofer last week. After installing it with no problems I fired at least 120 rounds of Blazer 22 cal. long rifle ammunition with no problems whatsoever. I saw an old demo on Youtube and the guy was having a few feeding problems, it made me apprehensive about investing in one, I think that guy needed or needs to send his kit to Merle for tuning. It is now about 5 days of great low cost full auto and semi shooting with not one problem. To date I believe I have run over 400 rounds through my converted Thompson M1A1 with exellent performance (works perfect in semi too!). If you ever have thought about getting a 22 kit for your F.A. Thompson, you need one of these. They are well made and reliable and better yet affordable too! Also, both Merle and the crew at Black Dog Machine are lightening fast at answering E-mails and phone questions, they have extremely good attitudes as well. (In my view a trait sometimes lacking in the 22 kit field...).

Ed Biggar 276 620 8595

This is old news but I have to comment on this kit. I bought mine months ago and didn't really try it out until much later. The first thing I noticed was the kit needed to be “dressed” some with a stone to get it to slide smoothly in a 28 Savage receiver. This should have been done during manufacturing in my opinion. Never the less the kit is well made and should last forever. After tinkering around a bit with main springs, I got the thing working pretty well - tons of cheap fun!

Here are the things I think need correcting; The 28 style actuator knob supplied with the kit is too tall and worse, it scrapes the finish on the receiver. You'll see what I mean the first time you turn the gun upside down resting on the rear sight and the actuator knob. The tall knob also scrapes the velvet in my hard case so watch for that. I don't like having to remove the original ejector to install the barrel insert. The missing ejector looks odd so I replaced it with an M1 style ejector while using the .22 kit. It fits fine and allows the insertion and removal of the barrel insert with no problem. This could have been avoided with one extra machining step. I also found it necessary to form a radius on the leading edge of the extractor to improve function. Hopefully BDM will fix this stuff on future kits. But, even with these minor issues - the kit is well worth owning.

After playing with the kit for a week or two I sent it to Merle Bitikofer. We discussed the minor problems I encountered and Merle went to work. The kit came back a week or so later and what a difference! Merle replaced the oversized actuator with a GI knob that drastically improved the fit and function - no more scraping the receiver. He beefed up the extractor and applied the proper radius. To solve the ejector/barrel insert issue, Merle machined a grove in the barrel insert that accommodates the .45 ejector during use of the kit. He modified the magazine followers to improve feeding and tested everything. Then he modified one of my BDM .22 drums to work flawlessly with the kit. This thing was pretty good as is but it's fantastic since Merle reworked it. Now it sings!

If you have one of these and you’re not quite happy with it, send it to Merle. You won't believe the difference.

1921a

1921a

Next time you dissasemble it for cleaning, could you post some pictures of the modifications. I slowed mine down some, with the weaker spring in the kit, as I leaded the barrel up with some extended shooting (it was too much fun and I forgot to stop and run the bore snake thru it. I'm pretty happy with my kit, and I have slightly tinkered with it. It is a whole lot of fun for the money. I have been beating up the local farm store for Blazer 22's when they have them on sale, for $17.00 a brick, I usually clean them out.

U D

22 Vector unit and CCI bulk Blazers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 10/16/10 my club, Tusco Rifle Club, held a NRA Woman on Target event.

I volunteered to bring my Group Uzi with a Vector 22 unit to let the ladies shoot a FA Uzi.

I had done this in years past with Federal bulk 22 LR and experienced no problems.

This year the club supplied me with CCI bulk Blaziers.

Everything was proceeding fine for about 400 rds. At this time I had trouble seeing the bullet impacts on the ground.

At about 500 rds I decided to run a cleaning brush down the barrel. I did this without first looking down the bore.

The cleaning rod got stuck. It was stuck so bad that I had to put the cleaning rod in a vise and hit the barrel with a piece of brass to dislodge it.

On examining the bore I discovered a buildup of lead about 2 inches in front of the chamber. It was so thick that I couldn't push the cleaning rod thru without the brush.

I gave the barrel to a club member with a "Outers Foul Out". This member couldn't get the Outers rod thru the barrel without first running a 17 cal brush into the bore to scrape out some lead.

He put the barrel in the Outers device at 6:00 pm on Sat and removed it at 11:00 on Sun morning. It still had traces of lead in it.

Thankfully the barrel cleaned up OK and was not bulged.

Another member, at the next bench, ran a Thompson with 22 Federal bulk and experienced no lead buildup.

Beware of CCI Blazer Bulk.

Jim C

Since you fellows mentioned CCI Blazers I thought you might be interesed in a problem I recently experienced with these cartridges.

I copied this from Uzitalk from a month ago.

Jim C

22 Vector unit and CCI bulk Blazers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 10/16/10 my club, Tusco Rifle Club, held a NRA Woman on Target event.

I volunteered to bring my Group Uzi with a Vector 22 unit to let the ladies shoot a FA Uzi.

I had done this in years past with Federal bulk 22 LR and experienced no problems.

This year the club supplied me with CCI bulk Blaziers.

Everything was proceeding fine for about 400 rds. At this time I had trouble seeing the bullet impacts on the ground.

At about 500 rds I decided to run a cleaning brush down the barrel. I did this without first looking down the bore.

The cleaning rod got stuck. It was stuck so bad that I had to put the cleaning rod in a vise and hit the barrel with a piece of brass to dislodge it.

On examining the bore I discovered a buildup of lead about 2 inches in front of the chamber. It was so thick that I couldn't push the cleaning rod thru without the brush.

I gave the barrel to a club member with a "Outers Foul Out". This member couldn't get the Outers rod thru the barrel without first running a 17 cal brush into the bore to scrape out some lead.

He put the barrel in the Outers device at 6:00 pm on Sat and removed it at 11:00 on Sun morning. It still had traces of lead in it.

Thankfully the barrel cleaned up OK and was not bulged.

Another member, at the next bench, ran a Thompson with 22 Federal bulk and experienced no lead buildup.

Beware of CCI Blazer Bulk.

Jim C

Since you fellows mentioned CCI Blazers I thought you might be interesed in a problem I recently experienced with these cartridges.

I copied this from Uzitalk from a month ago.

Jim C

I figured the CCI's were the culprits. If they won't work well full auto I'll let the grandkids shoot them up in their grampa supplied rifles.

I think I had about 500 rounds thru the BDM kit and my leading wasn't quite as bad, but another couple mags and it may have been. I hope slowing the rate of fire helps, but I'll check the barrel more frequently when shooting the CCI and try some jacketed ammo.

:rolleyes:RPM WITH bLACK DOG KIT

Blazer Fed Bulk Dyna-point

11 1/2 ' 0.038 5.5 cpi 643 681 662

12 " 0.035 5.5 cpi 677 695 699

9 1/4 0.043 6.3 cpi * 768 796 765

10 1/4 0.043 6.3 cpi * 857 888 872

* = my heavy duty spring

I also like my BDM kit. I've got Merle's new cocking knob fitted to it. Smoother operation, no bluing wear. I've had the best luck with the Federal Bulk pack and a stock recoil spring shortened per Merle's instructions. . No leading (maybe because they're copper plated), and no feeding or ejection issues. Lots of cheap fun.

The problem with CCI Blazer current production has also been noted on the Lakeside Machine website. They make the beltfed uppers for the M16/AR15 and those things can REALLY clog a barrel when you're using 100-round belts. I use the CCI Mini-mags, which are more expensive, but they shoot flawlessly in the finicky little belt-feds and don't lead the barrel even with 250-round belt dumps.

1921a

Next time you dissasemble it for cleaning, could you post some pictures of the modifications. I slowed mine down some, with the weaker spring in the kit, as I leaded the barrel up with some extended shooting (it was too much fun and I forgot to stop and run the bore snake thru it. I'm pretty happy with my kit, and I have slightly tinkered with it. It is a whole lot of fun for the money. I have been beating up the local farm store for Blazer 22's when they have them on sale, for $17.00 a brick, I usually clean them out.

U D

PM sent. 1921a