Loose Stock Question

rallen

I have a Reising that has a loose stock. I think the problem is at the anchor point where the screw secures the stock to the gun. Even with the screw tight, the stock is very loose on the gun. The anchor point on the gun is loose compared to the rest of the gun. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

post-24940-1301250507_thumb.jpg

I have a Reising that has a loose stock. I think the problem is at the anchor point where the screw secures the stock to the gun. Even with the screw tight, the stock is very loose on the gun. The anchor point on the gun is loose compared to the rest of the gun. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Are you saying that the anchor point is loose? On the receiver? The anchor point you pictured?

Are you saying that the anchor point is loose? On the receiver? The anchor point you pictured?

Yes, that square piece that the stock screw screws into wiggles.

As you can see, that should be welded to the receiver. I would think that a competent welder should be able to fix you up.

BTW, your front lug looks like it is cracked too.

I think the lugs are silver soldered or brazed. Try locating a Reising expert rather than the corner car repair.

Jim C

That's true , Jim , but the reising was made long before modern Mig and Tig welding was available. What these modern guys can do compared to the arc welding I did in the '70s and 80's is truly amazing.

Also , IIRC , the studs are threaded into the reciever a turn or two ( or less) . Be sure your threads are good before welding / brazing/soldering.

Chris

That's true , Jim , but the reising was made long before modern Mig and Tig welding was available. What these modern guys can do compared to the arc welding I did in the '70s and 80's is truly amazing.

Also , IIRC , the studs are threaded into the reciever a turn or two ( or less) . Be sure your threads are good before welding / brazing/soldering.

Chris

The threads are no good. Looks like they are stripped. The lug just fits back down into the hole.

Chris

The threads are no good. Looks like they are stripped. The lug just fits back down into the hole.

Check with John Bush at The Dealer Showroom. He may have some cut receivers that you could salvage the lugs from.

Thats assuming the receiver threads are OK.

Jim C

Chris

Check with John Bush at The Dealer Showroom. He may have some cut receivers that you could salvage the lugs from.

Thats assuming the receiver threads are OK.

Jim C

the dealer showroom sells receiver sections with the barrel ( shotout) with one stud for the second one you will have to tap it and yes they were silver soldered after being screwed in

in order to harden the top of the receiver to harden the recess for the bolt they used a torch to temper it, since the receiver is made out of 1020 steel I would watch the heat

sprat

• 10 months later...

Any update on this? How was it fixed?

I just bought a Reising M50 that is currently sitting at dealer awaiting my F4 to come back.

I did test fire the gun and it ran great for the 100 rds I brought.

One thing I did notice is that the action had about 1/16 of play forward and back in the stock. Checked the takedown nut and it was tight. I figured the stock was just worn around this area and a little acraglass or something would fix it up.

Now I am worried it is something like this.

Didnt take it down at all so never took the stock off.

If the threads were still good, would blue or red loctite work? Or welding the only option.

What else could cause this slop?

Thanks.

With my Reising the more you tightened the screw, the more the wood became compressed and before you know it you can't tighten the screw anymore and the gun is loose in stock.

I solved the problem with extensive use of acraglas gel. Receiver front and rear and barrel.

The Reising is an excellent entree level SMG, but it won't hold up if used as a bullet hose. As a matter of fact its best used on semi-auto.

The receiver design makes for very poor bedding with the stock and the fact that its held in place by only one screw doesn't help.

If a person wants to do a lot of F/A shooting he best get a M1A1 Tommy gun. Then you won't have to worry about broken comps,-action bars,-bolts,-firing pins,-extractors,-takedown nuts. Well you get the idea, I'm tired of typing.

Jim C

Thanks. I hope that is all it is. Seemed tight in the vertical direction just slop forward and back. I will take a trip to see it again in April and will look at it further. Whatever it was did not affect function.

As to heavy use, I doubt it will see more than 2k rounds a year. I have a M11/9 for a bullet hose, and a Sten MkII for high volume.

I like the gun semi auto and will likely use that some of the time. Wish the trigger was a little lighter, but I just wanted a US Marshal SMG and don't have Thompson money. Reising should fill that role well.

Already got some spares including action bar and 5 firing pins, and new springs.

Plan to pick up as many spares as possible when I run across them. When I get some time I will post a nice hello to the forum thread. Just saw this post and got scared about my gun. Not having it readily at hand makes the mind wander and fear the worst.