Thompson Pics

Just finished restoring this, the last and best of 4 Thompson display guns. I live in sunny CA so this is as good as it gets till the revolution. I believe everything is WWII except the compass. Sharp eyes will note that I am left handed as was my wife's father. Wore the entire outfit including helmet and jacket to a Halloween party last year as Captain Miller (Tom Hanks). Not seen here, the dummy rounds really make the gun seem alive. Hope I did the pics right.

post-73669-1307218111_thumb.jpg

post-73669-1307217587_thumb.jpg

post-73669-1307218152_thumb.jpg

videoguy,

Very nice photos! I like them a lot. You should take a vacation from the heathen state in which I was born, and come to Ohio in August for the Show and Shoot. We'll let you shoot some live TSMG's, and you'll never want to go back...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

videoguy,

Very nice photos! I like them a lot. You should take a vacation from the heathen state in which I was born, and come to Ohio in August for the Show and Shoot. We'll let you shoot some live TSMG's, and you'll never want to go back...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Sounds like fun. Last time I emptied a mag was Vietnam in 1967. I had traded five steaks for an M3 Grease Gun and three mags. Carried it for most of my tour, then sold it for $20 before I left. The only Thompson I remember seeing was on a officer with the 173rd......a real gung-ho Robert Duvall type.

My only claim to fame was shaking hands with John Wayne at a field hospital, he was making "Green Berets" at the time.

Good job on the display guns, real nice!

Bet it was a thrill to shake hands with the Duke!

Were you in a field hospital in December or June of 1966? That's when Wayne went to South Vietnam. Wayne was filming "The Green Berets" in Columbus, Georgia and Ft. Benning, Georgia in 1967.

Was some of the filming also done at Eglin AFB?

Were you in a field hospital in December or June of 1966? That's when Wayne went to South Vietnam. Wayne was filming "The Green Berets" in Columbus, Georgia and Ft. Benning, Georgia in 1967.

Was some of the filming also done at Eglin AFB?

Yes. Too bad Wayne decided to shoot all the scenes in the U.S. as the film lost much of the verisimilitude he was striving for. I guess Wayne didn't want to go "Back To Bataan" to have the Philippines stand in for Southeast Asia.

If you want some Full Auto Thompson time I live in Las Vegas, NV. My only rule is I only shoot my ammo or ammo I see sell over the counter in my Thompson. Bring some funds for some ammo and you are more than welcome to raise some hell.....Nice dummy guns, You do nice work....Send me a PM if you ever head this way.

Bob M.

Edited by GUTTERRATT

Filming locations for

The Green Berets (1968)

Fort Benning, Georgia, USA

Stage 25, Warner Brothers Burbank Studios - 4000 Warner Boulevard, Burbank, California, USA

The Green Berets (1968)Trivia

Much of the film was shot in 1967 at Ft. Benning, Georgia, hence the large pine forests in the background rather than tropical jungle trees.

Some of the "Vietnamese village" sets were so realistic they were left intact, and were later used by the Army for training troops destined for Vietnam.

The colonel who ran the jump school (and who was seen shooting trap with John Wayne) was the real jump school commandant and a legendary commander of U.S. paratroopers.

Late in the movie John Wayne can be seen to wrap his rappelling rope through a carabineer the wrong way. Called a "fatal hookup" in the Army, this would result in an immediate fall once weight was applied.

David Janssen was working on this film when the final episode of his series "The Fugitive" (1963) aired.

In the book "Green Berets" by Robin Moore, the main character is based on Maj. Larry Thorne (originally Lauri Törni, a Finnish soldier who moved to USA after WWII).

George Takei missed working on the "The Trouble with Tribbles" episode of the original "Star Trek" (1966) series to work on this movie.

WILHELM SCREAM: As enemy soldiers are thrown into the air by an exploding grenade.

Scenes were filmed with Vera Miles as John Wayne's wife but they were cut before release by the studio. Wayne made up for this by casting Miles in his next film Hellfighters (1968).

In 1967 John Wayne wrote to Democratic President Lyndon Johnson requesting military assistance for his pro-war film about Vietnam. Jack Valenti told the President, "Wayne's politics are wrong, but if he makes this film he will be helping us." Wayne got enough firepower to make The Green Berets (1968), which became one of the most controversial movies of all time.

Warner Bros. were concerned about letting John Wayne direct the movie because of the fact that his previous directorial effort, The Alamo (1960), had been an expensive flop. They therefore only agreed to let him do the film if he agreed to co-direct with a more experienced director, and Wayne chose Ray Kellogg who, despite having only ever directed B-movies, the studio accepted due to his track record as a second unit director on a number of major studio releases.

The defensive battle that takes place during the second half of the movie is very loosely based on the Battle of Nam Dong, during which two Viet Cong battalions attacked a small outpost in the Central Highlands of South Vietnam which was defended by a mixed force of Americans, Australians and South Vietnamese troops on July 6, 1964. After the successful defense of the outpost, the commanding officer, CPT Roger Donlon, was awarded the Medal of Honor.

The character Colonel Mike Kirby is based on the real life person Lauri Törni, who later on called himself Larry Thorne. Lauri Törni was a Finnish Army captain who fought in the Second World War during the Winter War (1939-40) and Continuation War (1941-44) against the Soviet Union. He emigrated to the USA in the late 1940s, and in 1954 joined the US Army, and in November 1963 he joined the Special Forces unit A-734 in Vietnam and fought in the Mekong Delta. He disappeared during a mission in 1965 and was reported MIA (Missing In Action). Larry Thorne's remains were found in 1999, and formally identified in 2003.

The three leads, John Wayne, David Janssen, and Jim Hutton, all died within slightly over eight months of one another: Hutton on June 2, 1979, Wayne on June 11, 1979, and Janssen on February 13, 1980.

Most colonels were only in their thirties during the Vietnam War. John Wayne was 60 when this film was made and Bruce Cabot was 63.

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

• 4 months later...

Hey Videoguy:

If you want to escape from the land of fruits and nuts and do some rock and roll; a shoot is coming up shortly at Big Sandy in Western Arizona which is not far from Kingman which may be within driving distance for you. I went to the Spring shoot there and it was a lot of fun.

Lots of M2s Mortars,1919s and of course Thompsons and everything else imaginable.

Jim