Always Wanted A 21 Thompson?

Yes, it is a real process that makes plastic replicas. But remember it is only a plastic replica. Also they did a lot of editing on the data they scanned to create the model.

I have had some made, and my kid used a similar technology to make several 1911 brass catchers.

When they perfect the steel part one... I'll buy it!

Yes, it is real. We just got one at our shop. It is not all the way set up yet. We had someone doing them for us for a while. It is just now really out to the general public. Very freakin' cool.

the military has what they call a "mobile parts hospital", using a laser and powdered metal, they can create or repair parts in the field using CAD files with the correct dimensions, currently they still need to finish machine or grind the parts, as they say they are within .015 " tolerance of true size. one day the additive approach to machining will replace the method of removing steel to achieve the diesired part. laser sintering with metal is as mentioned, a very similar concept to the thread topic.

Here is a laser sintering printing process that produces the finished object in any metal you may wish for. I have had sculpture cast using bronze and it is amazing.

Dick

Sorry I missed the above post. But having had sculpture produced with this process I find it amazing and very much less expensive. Here is the piece I had produced with sintering. The piece was cast into a rubber mold and then sintered.

Dick

sintered_whaling_piece.jpg

Edited by Sculptor

A colleague of mine was in on the development of one of the laser sintering techniques (research sponsored by Los Alamos National Lab).

Several years ago he was making parts from tungsten in very complex shapes to demonstrate the capability of the process. If you can make things from tungsten, you can make them from most any metal.

It was a purely additive process and did not require the tub of metal powder as the above processes do. You could see all of the part gradually appear as the laser sintering proceeded. It was hypnotic to see a video of a part just "grow" slowly from a flat surface.

This technique may have eventually wound up in the "mobile parts hospital" for the military.

Joel

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm getting the distinct impression that a Thompson SMG could be made using this process and out of a viable metal. In other words when finished you could assemble it into a working gun and it would be accurate down to the smallest detail?

I wonder if the BATF would consider this "manufacturing?" :rolleyes:

This could get interesting since it's a printing process and the 1st Amendment guarantees us the right to "Freedom of the press".

Jim

Edited by james m

Guest title ii
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm getting the distinct impression that a Thompson SMG could be made using this process and out of a viable metal. In other words when finished you could assemble it into a working gun and it would be accurate down to the smallest detail?

This could get interesting since it's a printing process and the 1st Amendment guarantees us the right to "Freedom of the press".

Jim

:agree:

I was thinking the exact same thing! Wouldn't it technically be open season to "printing" new machine guns sine the FOPA of 86 addressed the word "manufacturing for civilian consumption after May 19, 1986" and thus would not apply to "printed machine guns"?... Any lawyer or judge types care to comment for any insights on how something like this would play out in a court of law? Would case law prevail in swaying the judge/jury to find the defendant guilty since the prosecutor would use "manufactured" machine guns as a comparison since the printed versions would be basically a functional printed copy version? Or would they find the defendant innocent on a technicality due to the wording of current statutes and let him register it in accordance with the 1934 law?

Printed Machine Gun vs United States of America

Edited by title ii

Jim

Jim-

legal issues aside ;), while you could laser sinter metal TSMG parts, i can think of 2 issues that would make the concept problematic. first, laser sintering would not generate a part accurate to the smallest detail, it would require machining to achieve the close tolerances necessary for a Thompson to function, the receiver for example. and second, i'm not sure the finished part would stand up to the dynamic forces involved in firing the gun, the receiver could be prone to stress fatigue from the bolt cycling. there are many issues yet to be resolved with metal laser sintering, heat bloom for example. on intricate portions of the work piece, as the laser transits from one geometric dimension to another, the laser can spend more time in that area ( think the interior corners of a TSMG receiver ), the result being a different hardness than on the flat open areas, an overheated area, just where it would be prone to cracking.

don't get me wrong, the technology is amazing, the hand held laser coordinate measuring device shown in the youtube video is a marvel in itself, imagine how handy that would be to make accurate measurements, although there is a bit of slight of hand in the video, the laser can only measure what it "see's", so a working crescent wrench, one that moves, would require more information than what a simple red laser scan would detect.

stereo lithography, what the base concept for "printing" is called, has been around for about 20 years, my Dad was a pattern maker, and rapid prototyping was coming on line just as he retired, that where i first heard of it.

the military also benefits in that laser sintering can also repair a part, rather than make a new one, cracks cen be repaired, a missing tooth on a gear can be replaced, as stated above, the metal is bonded at the molecular level so the new tooth becomes part of the gear....

Hello all

I'm thinking Kahr arms should have this, perhaps we will have drums that work a little better out of the box.-Adlake

From what I'm gleaning out of the above replies; we are perhaps 1 evolutionary step away from being able to "print" a usable Thompson SMG. I do think based upon what I've learned that if you started with stripped down individual components it would be possible to assemble the printed results into a functional Thompson but probably not one in shootable condition.

It would be interesting if someone who has access to this technology took a non full auto. weapon to avoid potential trouble such as a Colt 45 pistol for example and attempted this. I for one would like to see the end result.

Jim

Edited by james m

This is amazing, intriguing and scary. Just think where this technology will be in 2, 3, 5 years. Do you doubt that the Chinese are scanning everything we produce? Forget about reverse engineering, why bother. Oh I know, its just plastic, for now, but 10 years ago if I told you I could sell you a device that could pinpoint your location anywhere on the earth for less than $100 and its on sale at Costco you'd say yeah right. How long before they can reproduce a cheeseburger, taste and all, a la Star Trek?