Atf Visit?

darrylta

Today I noticed an ATF business card at my front door.

I emailed the investigator and asked if there was anything I could help her with.

Is it a common occurrence to be visited by the ATF if your a FFL-03 holder / NFA owner?

Or did someone snitch me out for one of my rants calling B.H. Obama a

ball faced lying, dyed in wool Marxist traitor that has done more harm to

this country than all the terrorist organizations and a 1,000 Osama's put together.

Or could it be that I fly the US and Gadson flag at my house.

-Darryl

Hmm. I have had it happen twice, neither were Radom or routine. Once I bought a number of guns at an auction and the dealer failed to fill out a multiple handgun form. Just happened I left the country the day after the auction. Those two facts were enough to launch a 5 month investigation leading to the card on the door. No crime had been committed and all was forgotten after a short interview at the local police station.

Second time was because someone was sending letters to the ATF claiming all kinds of stuff and it turned out to be about someone with the same name as me, but wasn't true about either of us. That one took several interviews and a lie detector exam before they decided I was OK.

Hopefully your's is less complex. Personally I talked to my lawyer before I talked to them. I knew I had not done anything wrong, but it was still not fun thinking of what might happen if they felt I had.

-wwiifirearms

I spoke with the agent today. They want to go over my Trust C&R FFL-03?

Most likely to void it :-)

-Darryl

Edited by darrylta

My business partner has his C&R revoked from his trust. Legal picked it up on a

transfer. They let that one get approved and then he had to surrender it.

No other issues beyond that. This was after a half dozen form fours were approved.

Brian

bmarvin, are you saying that the C&R issued was in the name of the trust and not the individual, or the other way around? I am a C&R holder who is thinking of forming a trust, is there then no way my trust can receive a direct transfer of a C&R firearm because an FFL cannot be issued to a trust?

Mike Hammer

He had a C&R in the name of his trust. Legal at ATF ruled that the trust could not have a C&R.

My C&R is in the name of an LLC and that is fine.

Go figure.

Brian

bmarvin, are you saying that the C&R issued was in the name of the trust and not the individual, or the other way around? I am a C&R holder who is thinking of forming a trust, is there then no way my trust can receive a direct transfer of a C&R firearm because an FFL cannot be issued to a trust?

Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

My understanding is that people have been doing this for years because it avoids the CLEO sign off and the fingerprinting requirement. I had also been hearing that the BATF was going to clamp down on this use of a trust because of what they feel is avoidence and abuse. I have a trust but all my Cl 3 items are registered to me individually.

Jim

Edited by james m

He had a C&R in the name of his trust. Legal at ATF ruled that the trust could not have a C&R.

My C&R is in the name of an LLC and that is fine.

Go figure.

Brian

Mike Hammer

Mike,

One of my C&R FFL's was in my trusts name with one BAR approved and transferred on it.

I'll post again after Fridays meeting with them. It may be as simple as transferring it to my

personal C&R.

-Darryl

This idea that individuals are somehow trying to avoid the CLEO signoff and finger printing is a bunch of bullshit! The CLEOs have banded together to deny our constitutional right to own firearms,period. This problem is so rampant that even the ATF agency has seen the light and has taken steps to eliminate the signoff. This situation has created a mountain of useless paperwork at a time when reduction in staff and funding is forced upon the agency.As far as finger printing,none of my customers have voiced that objection.This whole scene is bureaurocricy at its`finest.Maybe after the next election some of these foulups will be corrected...then again maybe not....

This idea that individuals are somehow trying to avoid the CLEO signoff and finger printing is a bunch of bullshit!

Avoiding the signoff tends to be the most common reason given for people wanting a trust.

The bit about avoiding the CLEO is correct, however, the part about ATF trying to stop anyone from using a trust is something likely started by an internet expert. There is nothing "wrong" with using a legal entity (which also includes corporations and LLCs). It is regulations written and administered by ATF that created the CLEO signature and allowed an end-around. Eventually, you should see it go away, but it will be some time. Last I knew a draft had been sent to DOJ for review... maybe 3-5 years. Edited by The Lone Ranger

This idea that individuals are somehow trying to avoid the CLEO signoff and finger printing is a bunch of bullshit!

Avoiding the signoff tends to be the most common reason given for people wanting a trust.

RT,

In my case I had zero problems with the finger printing experience or cost.

My problem is with the utter incompetence and lack of effort shown by the

the Maryland welfare workforce doing the CLEO signoff.

It must be nice to stroll into a PD and walk out with the signoff. My last one took

3 months with no way to check it's progress or status, it's simply sickening.

I guess this is just a glimpse of what's coming our way with BamaCare.

-Darryl

No other issues beyond that. This was after a half dozen form fours were approved.

Brian

Wait wait...

He had to surrender the C&R weapon? (MG?)

Or he had to surrender the 03 license?

I hoping its the second....

Brian

Wait wait...

He had to surrender the C&R weapon? (MG?)

Or he had to surrender the 03 license?

I hoping its the second....

The ATF visit was hoe hum, nothing unexpected took place.

The agent stated that the ATF was doing a nation wide search and license surrender

of unincorporated C&R licenses. So if you have one, expect a knock on your door.

They are asking the license holder to voluntarily, I didn't ask what happen if I elected to not to, surrender

the C&R Trust license, the guns acquired with the license are not in question and legal since Trusts are

able to have ownership of the firearms. They also did a A/B collectors log book check and also checked to see

that the NFA firearms registered to you were in your possession, as in checked the serial numbers.

If you will be involved in this in the future, get the ATF receipt that they have your surrendered license and the agents

business cards.

All in all, a cordial meeting,

-Darryl

Glad to hear it went well.

On a related note, if you turn in your C&R you don't need to turn over your records(unlike other types of ffl's that are required to turn them over). When my father surrendered his C&R they asked him to turn over his records. He had to show them the the part of the law that says a C&R FFL is not required to do so.

-wwiifirearms

This is the same reason I've heard as well although it's not a problem here. Signoff turnaround is usually around two weeks.

Jim

darrylta, I'm afraid that I do not fully understand exactly what the ATF is doing here. You say the guns acquired with the license are not in question and legal to have, yet they asked that you voluntairily surrender the C&R license to them, is this a license issued to the trust or a personal C&R license and why would you voluntarily do this? What exactly are they claiming by the term "Unincorporated C&R License, did they outright say that a trust cannot hold such a license and receive a transfer of a C&R weapon?

Mike Hammer

• 2 weeks later...
I think you guys missed my intent,...I know people avoid the CLEO signoff pocedure...what I was trying to convey was the whole illegal process of the actual signoff or lack thereof.The unconstitutional denial causes more paperwork,less commerse,etc.Finger printing is a simple process which the local PDs seem more than happy to perform.The signoff was the cause of my rant... <_>

what I was trying to convey was the whole illegal process of the actual signoff or lack thereof.The unconstitutional denial causes more paperwork,less commerse,etc.

Hire a lawyer and see if it really is illegal or not.

• 2 years later...

Happened to my sister too, she worked in a gun shop - ordered 5 Uzi Baby Eagles at the same time' she got a knock on the door by two ATF agents, wanted to know the reason she bought 5 of them? She told them collecting and investment.

She showed them she still had them and had not been sold to anyone.

They said ok and left.

Tetryl