Photos Of Reising In Service

Krag

I have found plenty of photos of the Reising in service with USMC and USCG and even with the Costa Rican army but was wondering if anyone has photos of Canadian, Soviet or other troops using them?

If so could you contact me or post them here. I need them for an article I'm preparing for the SHOTGUN NEWS.

Many thanks.

Rank - I tell it like it is depending on the samples of the firearms I actually shoot. In this case it will be a semiauto carbine and (maybe?) a M50 buzzgun.

Paul,

Yes, I think it's important, if you discuss the use of the Reising on Guadalcanal and such, that you mention the main reason for a bad reputation from initial Marine use was not really the fault of the design of the firearm. The Reising was not manufactured to have fully interchangeable parts. Each gun was hand fitted at the factory. The Marines did not require the Reising to have interchangeable parts in the H&R contracts, and wanted the guns as quickly as possible, because of constraints on acquisition of the Thompson. Testing of many sample Reisings at the factory demonstrated exemplary performance. When the Marines went to Guadalcanal, many were cleaned using communal parts cleaning methods, and parts were mixed up, resulting in many failures. There was a famous Commander who ordered many of the initial Reisings to be dumped...Part of his reasoning had to do with what had been learned about the parts interchangeability, and the fact that armorers did not have the time or facilities to re-fit parts to individual Reisings. The Commander knew that more Reisings were coming, and made a calculated decision to dump the mixed guns, with the intent of changing operational habits in regards to cleaning the Reisings going forward. Unfortunately, the initial bad rap stuck in the minds of many Marines.

In the NFA world, Reisings are very fun, reliable, and accurate submachine guns. If you're anywhere near the Cincinnati area, I would offer mine as a test example for the article.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewer.com

In addition to all of the above I'd like like to mention my complaint.

When disassembly does become necessary it is best done on a work bench. A hammer, brass punch and a paper clip come in handy and a clean surface to place the parts. And don't lose the 2 pins. You may need some sort os a screw driver if the bumper plug is tight.

Also it would have been best to limit it to semi only. A 12 shot SMG firing at 900 RPM is not very worth while.

The fact that it wasn't a big success with the Marines is a great blessing to us collectors and shooters. We have a relatively inexpensive, entry level, SMG that bring many new people into the sport. Like the M1 carbine, its a very nice looking sporter type of firearm. Had the Marines used it thru the war, they would no doubt be very scarce and expensive today. It was my first SMG, and with out it I would have never caught the FA disease.

Thank God for the Reising.

Jim C

How can one tell it like it is whenever they have not actualy taken a Reising to a range and fired one ? You are only left with hear say and those are usualy found out . You should take the Mods offer and actualy fire the weapon . Then you will be best able to judge for yourself and not keep rehashing the same ole song and dance . If a semi auto with the longer barrel and lack of fun switch is what will be written about , then I would be interested in an article otherwise ..... well best wishes .

My experience with the Reising is limited to a semi carbine and Model 50 with a very unusual custom stock. It had a removable buttstock, ala TSMG and the wood was gorgeous. Never could track down any details. This was over 35 years ago when I worked for St. Louis County PD. The semi was a lot of fun to shoot and worked well. The armorer was very possessive of the M50 and never let me shoot it (or anyone else AFAIK) . I got to shoot the Thompson's (2 Model '21's and a WW2 Savage) rather frequently so it was OK. ;-) Has anyone else come across customized Reisings with non factory features ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Krag:

In fairness perhaps you should also mention in your article that Harrington & Richardson was awarded the Army-Navy "E" Award for production excellence in a ceremony at the factory on January 21, 1943.

Regards,

Charlie

Edited by ordnanceguy

• 3 years later...

I have found plenty of photos of the Reising in service with USMC and USCG and even with the Costa Rican army but was wondering if anyone has photos of Canadian, Soviet or other troops using them?

If so could you contact me or post them here. I need them for an article I'm preparing for the SHOTGUN NEWS.

Many thanks.

Paul,

Did your Reising article get published in SGN yet?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com