Just bought some round hole mags for the kahr 1927 and have three questions about grinding the catch. 1. Do I fit the mags with the bolt closed and if yes 2. should the mag be loaded or empty? If loaded 3. Should the first round on top be compressed a little from the closed bolt? Please help, havent shot 8 consecutive rounds through this thing in 10 years

Don't grind the catch whatever you do. That would most likely cause it to NOT stay in place.

I am not really sure though what the problem you are describing is here. Is the magazine

not staying in place? Is it not engaging? If you bought a brand new Kahr mag then it

should be working.

Update: After looking at your post again, it seems that you bought some full auto

box mags for your semi-auto. I would recommend, instead, that you keep those

for prosterity or maybe a tsmg in your future, and go ahead and buy the Kahr

magazines. Sooner or later we will run out of tsmg magazines and they will

all be ruined by having converted them to semis. It is hard to get the hole

right when you do it and the holes is down a little from the mag catch because

the tsmg is 1/10th of a inch higher than the semi-auto receiver is. As far as actually

doing the work, yes, first put some rounds in the mag and insert it with the bolt

already forward. Then measure and mark carefully noting the position of the

mag catch to the magazine hole.

Edited by T Hound

• 2 weeks later...
dont buy kahr mags. they charge $70 each. buy USGI mags for $20-$30 each and modify you mag catch. you might have to slightly modify each mag but not so much it will ruin the mag

dont buy kahr mags. they charge $70 each. buy USGI mags for $20-$30 each and modify you mag catch. you might have to slightly modify each mag but not so much it will ruin the mag

I disagree. That is kind of like ruining antiques. MUCH better to go with the $70 Kahr mags because

they actually work. You can end up ruining a lot of tsmg mags just trying to get it to work right.

• 4 weeks later...

I disagree. That is kind of like ruining antiques. MUCH better to go with the $70 Kahr mags because

they actually work. You can end up ruining a lot of tsmg mags just trying to get it to work right.

I still disagree. i have $115 for 10 20rd mags my mag catch getting done to accept full auto mags. all my mags run like a dream. i have 3 30rd mags also. if you do the mag catch right you wont have to ruin a thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3- 27 mags, I will trade for 3 smg mags. they are all 3 Seymour mags. 90% blueing. Jim

I have 3 30 rd and 1 20 rd full auto, non modified mags, if anyone wants to trade, I'm game. Otherwise I planned to modify them to fit my semi.

I have three SBR's, one WH and two Kahr's. I have the mag catch mod on all three and it works fine with original unaltered mags.

Edited by anticus

Anyone interested in trading? I misquote, I have 2- 30 rd unaltered, look like small hole full auto mags and a 1- 20 rd unaltered small hole mag. I planned to modify them, but if some full auto owners need mags, I would prefer saving them in original state. Looking at the holes and comparing with my original Kahr 30 round mag the holes are different diameter, smaller in the other mags and they don't lock in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi apsanford

I have 3 30 rounders that have been modified that I would like to trade with you. One is an AO @ 97% bluing, another is a US cartridge co (If memory serves) that is factory , or military grey painted % 98@ and the last is I think a Seymore @ 93%. Interested? IF so we send to each other and each has a right of refusal.

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Somebody a while back was selling reworked Semi Mag catches for the Semi so that surplus TSMG mags could be used.

I saw the link though this Forum, I think the price was $75.

You can change out the Mag Catch and keep the factory on the side.

Sorry did not write it down, but I'm sure some member might remember.

I believe jojeep may be referring to the Modified mag catch listed for $60 by TommyGunner. Go to the Full Auto Thompson Forum, FAQs; then scroll down to the Parts vendor list. At the TommyGunner site, in the Parts section, the Modified mag catch can be found. FWIW, they also sell E-Z Pull springs listed for $80.

I have no affiliation with the TommyGunner vendor and I have not ever dealt with them so I have no knowledge of their parts and/or service.

Best of luck whatever you decide to pursue.