Fair, Current Market Values for Rem # 8 and Win 07 ?

Been trying to find these 2 rifles to round out my "era" collection.

A remington #8 in 35 rem Standard model and a winchester 1907 in .351 SLR

I've checked a few auction sites and the prices are all between $600-800 .

not looking for museum pieces but decent and safe shooters.

other than collectors.. the calibers scare most folks due to the price.

I already have 6 , 35 rem guns and have the machines/tooling to make 351 brass.

Edited by StooperZero

Your range of $600-800 is accurate as far as what I am seeing at gun shows in my area for the Rem. 8 and the '07. Actually I see both fairly often out here--not many buyers for either so there's usually room for price negotiation$. Then there's always those $1500-2500 ones you see over and over and over. . .

I'm holding out for a Police Special Remington, but have a couple of '07s. I would opt for a later manufacture date 07 for a good shooter--I have seen some very nice late ones with the police-style stocks--

Best of luck in your search--

There is a little discussion on here in the Dillinger guns on the model 10. Ammo would be a real problem I'd think. There were only about 20,000 ever made, 1910- 1936, according to Henwood. He does mention that Barnes Bullets continues to make it in a 250 grain soft point bullet for reloaders. ??

OCM

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a 1907 2 years ago and paid $725 for it; it had a ten shot mag & a extra 10 shot mag. It is in excellent shape and my research says it's a police model {larger buttstock & the mag plunger has a hook on it so your finger does not slip as it could on a round plunger end.] At a gun show last winter I bought an old original box of 50 shells {box and all original 50 shells for $50.} If you are collecting old police arms, you might look for a Remington Model 17 Special police, 20 ga, pistol grip, 14"barrel, AOW. I bought mine maybe 20 years ago and can'y remember what I paid for it. Good luck on your search.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a photo of my Remington, 20ga, Model 17 Special Police, 14" barrel, NFA Registered as a AOW. I also have the framed copy of an old Remington ad showing the Special Police. Also, there is research on this model in Swearington's book "The World's Fighting Shotguns.

post-4519-0-27651800-1376950404_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks wwl,

I would love to find a copy of the factory ad you show. Does it list a "standard" barrel length for the short Police model? Some sources I've seen say14" and some say 15" ("Fighting Shotguns"). I imagine a pd could have ordered about any length barrel they wanted back to the mag. tube support with no problem.

(Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread OP)

thanks,

John

I did measure my Remington Special Police and it does have a 15" barrel, also the Remington ad lists it as having a 15" barrel. I quess my only excuse for saying it had a 14" barrel as quoting from old memories and not digging in my gun safe enough.

Here is a photo of my Remington, 20ga, Model 17 Special Police, 14" barrel, NFA Registered as a AOW. I also have the framed copy of an old Remington ad showing the Special Police. Also, there is research on this model in Swearington's book "The World's Fighting Shotguns.

Outstanding !!! Impressed.

I have an original leather case for a Rem 20 Ga, but not the Special Police version-

Here is Clyde Barrow's version of your gun, ( sorta ) a 1918 BAR he called his " Scattergun " . This is his original BAR he modified, recovered after a shootout. Both barrel and butt stock have been altered for fast reply.

Sandy

scattergun297.jpg

Edited by OCM

• 3 weeks later...

Bull Creek Arms is selling a 1907 Winchester .351 with a complete and correct Dillinger configuration as was found on the ones in Tucson at his arrest. HS Lebman had converted them to FA and added a Thompson grip up front.

It wasn't until I visited the Tucson PD years ago, that I realized Lebman had made a metal grip on the front to accept the Thompson vertical grip, actually much like a Thompson. Also he made a comp on the front, two different types- These guy have duplicated everything but not Full Auto of course.

Problem: ammo Any thoughts on this ?

They have a web site. Idaho.

Last months Guns & Ammo has an article on the 07 and these guys

OCM

They are duplicating the third gun in from the left , pictured below.

001 (3).jpg

The Lebman conversion 1907's have been discussed a couple of times on this forum--members mostly either dig them or think they are an abomination with the Thompson grip. It took me about 5 min. to make up my mind when I saw one of the first ones Tom built on G-B. Mine came supplied with an aftermarket 10 rnd. mag which I ditched in favor of several originals; other than that, it's great. Always draws much interest and many questions at the range. I have had several correspondences with Tom (the gunsmith who makes these) and he is a great guy to deal with. I also purchased a 20 ga. Remington 11 whippet conversion for my wife from him--another fun gun for sure!

I buy old factory ammo. at my local shows from the ammo vendors who have been schlepping the same box or 2 of .351 to shows for years. They usually come down to a reasonable price as soon as I show any serious interest. I've fired several hundred rounds of factory Remington and Winchester with no problems whatsoever. I'll reload a run of .351 when I get more brass saved up.

The Lebman conversion 1907's have been discussed a couple of times on this forum--members mostly either dig them or think they are an abomination with the Thompson grip. It took me about 5 min. to make up my mind when I saw one of the first ones Tom built on G-B. Mine came supplied with an aftermarket 10 rnd. mag which I ditched in favor of several originals; other than that, it's great. Always draws much interest and many questions at the range. I have had several correspondences with Tom (the gunsmith who makes these) and he is a great guy to deal with. I also purchased a 20 ga. Remington 11 whippet conversion for my wife from him--another fun gun for sure!

I buy old factory ammo. at my local shows from the ammo vendors who have been schlepping the same box or 2 of .351 to shows for years. They usually come down to a reasonable price as soon as I show any serious interest. I've fired several hundred rounds of factory Remington and Winchester with no problems whatsoever. I'll reload a run of .351 when I get more brass saved up.

I'm on the fence about it because of the ammo. I don't reload. The grip looks like a Sarco ( made in India) one, had one on my 07 before I sold it, wish I still had it.

Here is the original in Tucson, if you haven't seen it- I took this to doc the metal forearm Lebman used.

Thanks-

OCM

winchester295.jpg

OCM,

Tom did a very nice job on the metal forearm on his replicas--professional looking in fit and finish.. . I can't imagine the originals were any nicer. A trip to Tucson is on my list to see the original Lebman '07 there. I have wondered if there are any FA 1907's in the registry. . .

They have two or did have two. One is all original and was stolen from the Auburn ( or Peru have to check my notes) Indiana PD by the Dillinger group. Larry Wack ( part of our Gun Hunter group) has the list, might be on his FBI site.

The other is the Lebman model. Tucson PD and the FBI traded guns back and forth thru the years, so this one may be seen with the FBI in different older photos.

There was a police office I communicated with years ago that was in Tucson and familiar with the 07s and was allowed to strip one or both down to just see what Lebman did to it. Like a dumb-XXX I lost the contact on this, to many things. I think all the FA stuff has been deactivated, guess we'll find out when Auburn gets their gun back from the FBI. Thompson that is.

OCM,

Tom did a very nice job on the metal forearm on his replicas--professional looking in fit and finish.. . I can't imagine the originals were any nicer. A trip to Tucson is on my list to see the original Lebman '07 there. I have wondered if there are any FA 1907's in the registry. . .

The wood " Thompson " grip not the forearm. I've never seen the original one as it was removed or stolen off the original Dillinger rifle, displayed in the Tucson PD.

001.jpg

OCM--tell me about the Gun Hunter group? I gather its mission is to track down the whereabouts of historically significant crime weapons? (Sounds like the results w/ photos would make a great reference book)

(StooperZero--sorry to hijack the thread--mods please move/edit as appropriate.)

Gun Hunters : A small group of us, retired Sheriffs, Deputies, FBI , historians, etc. that search for historic crime weapons.

We traced the Dillinger Thompsons about a year ago, took about a year to follow all the leds and urban legends.

Our law enforcement group can call and resource information the " civilians " can't. Some of the group were allowed to fire some of the Thompsons on display.

Information is stored in our computers mostly.

OCM

Edited by OCM

Whippet gun: in this photo of Bonnie & Clyde, Bonnie is holding Clyde's Whippet gun on him- You can see the belt he attached to the buttstock of the shotgun to sling over his shoulder to " whippet " out. Marie Barrow told me this was one gun she always remembered, Clyde hanging it under his coat.

OCM

001 (3).jpg