Tommygun Violin case

I'm a new member that only has a semi, but thought you guys might be interested in seeing the violin case I converted for my gun. It will be covered in crocodile on the outside when done and is made out of a wooden 1900s small violin case around 31" in length. Let me know what you think. I did all the work myself.

post-258557-0-50324700-1376792638_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-03841600-1376792668_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-21257500-1376792709_thumb.jpg

Edited by tray burge
  • Upvote 1

" Stand back, I'm gonna spit " Paul Muni.

Neat looking case, good job, lot of work. See you over on the semi forum....

OCM

I'd leave the exterior as is,, it adds a lot to the theme you're looking for.

The original Colts are 92 years old.

My 2 cents,

Darryl

Good 2 cents, Darryl I agree with 4 cents.

Appreciate the feedback, but I'm fruit about crocodile and want to create an hierloom piece for my sons, they'll have to fight over it when I'm gone, besides crocodile adds that extra bit of elegance and wow factor factor. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

I think he's implying that he's ga-ga for crocodile.

What ever floats your boat I guess :-)

-Darryl

Tough room? Shulda been here for the good ole days.... Now it's just the opposite, overly strict moderators that stifle spirited discussion. I guess on the positive side I haven't had anyone threaten my livelihood or call me an ugly fat pedophile.

Wow, tough room. I must be a little older than a lot you guys here, I like crocodile; is that better.

Hey if someone wants to duplicate your efforts I have a case that I would part with. I bought it to do just this but won't never do it so I'll be happy just to get my $$ back out of it. Forty bucks shipped if anyone desires it.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/z3bigdaddy/thompsoncase08242013a_zpsa7a271d7.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/z3bigdaddy/thompsoncase08242013b_zps38a8b882.jpg

Hi

What advise/tips can you share with me having lived through the building of that beautiful case? What material did you use to fill the case underneath the velvet and how is it secured? How did you secure the straps to the case? That type of thing.. :)

Will you use the case only for display? I am wondering if the case is used for transport, what protects the finish of the firearm when it is closed from rubbing against itself from each side?

Any tips would be appreciated greatly

Larry

Most important, take your time and plan it out in advance. The construction on mine was realy easy, time consuming but easy. I simply took the case apart first and reglued all the cracks and corners for streangth. I then outlined the case on foam board that is normally used for insulation (need something sturdy, the rubbery foam thats used in electronics packing would be the best). Cut out templates to fit the inside of the case. I then outlined the gun parts on the templates (making sure first the layout would fit into the case). Put the inserts with the gun/parts cut out (with a drywall saw) in the case, layed velvet on top and pressed the gun pieces into place and then tucked everything in around the edges. You will have parts of the foam that will get cut away on the edges of the inserts and you will need these these edges to tuck the velvet around when done so you need to reinforce these open spots with a strong thin wall piece glued and clamped into place until dry, you have to have an edge to wrap your velvet around when tucking in after the inserts are placed in the case so keep this in mind. I used thin sheets of plasticized paper cut the height of the inserts. The parts fit pretty snug. A little elmers glue here and there to hold the foam in place and voila! The case is strong enough to be used a transportion case and will be used as such and for display. The straps hold the top part of the gun in place and are anchored in with large threaded wood screws with some elmers on the threads with a lagre washer between the leather and the screw head to keep the leather from pulling out, they are very strong. The other halves of the gun are held in place with friction (bottom part) and as long as they're not turned upside down stay in place (you can turn them on their side and they stay in place, the cutouts were done tight for this reason). Right now I use a piece of leftover velvet between the two halves when closed, they just barely touch in one spot, but when I cover the outside with crocodile the added thickness/height to the edges were it will wrap around and then tucked in will give me more than enough clearence when closed, of course I'll have to reposition all my hinges and latches. The handle is held on with the same washer setup as the leather straps except machined crews are used and go all the way through with a lock washer and bolt on the inside and will be covered when the outside is done and wraped around and tucked. Biggest advice is to plan carefully and give the elmers 24hrs to cure before moving on to the next step, I have over a month and about $80 bucks invested in the project. If anybody needs help in constructng their own, I'd be happy to help, just email and I can go into detail and give you some pointers on what doesn't work. This was my 3rd design/setup on the interior before I got it right, now every thing is very sturdy and snug as a bug in a rug. P.S. Be sure to reinforce the handles to support the weight. Hope I covered all your questions, but If I didn't let me know and I'll be happy to elaborate more. Oh yeah, I need to dip the brass thing in rubber thats holding the barrel end in so it won't scratch. That was the old bow holder that came with the case, I tried to reuse anything I could because they're all made of solid brass. Whomever would think brass as a precious metal back then?

Edited by tray burge