Serial # ?

car wash chris

That is not a factory applied serial number . It is hand stamped . It is a felony to posses a firearm with a removed , defaced , or altered serial number.

I would assume this was aquired with approved paperwork ( a form 4 ) with this serial number on it , yes ?

If so , you may be OK .

If not , you're up a creek with no paddle , I fear.

Chris

I looked over the form 4 before I bought it, it's been on a form 4 since early 2006 in this person's possesion. It was sold to him by Ohio Ordnance works inc here in Ohio. I was kind of guessing that it may have been a left over un-marked receiver that was regestered right before the 86 ban hence the 85-A2 hand stamp. Just a guess.

Chris

Mfg. is H&R, it's marked safe, SA,FA. It's been shot by a couple freinds of mine who have been machine gun owners for years and members on these boards, I'm just trying to figure out the 85-A2, there are NO signs of an old # being removed, if so I would have passed. Thanks Guys

Edited by car wash chris

You're prob'ly OK then. As I said , you'll prob'ly not read of this number in a book . It is hand stamped as can be seen by the up-down staggering of the number in comparison to a regular factory stamped number. The Govt will allow restamping ( or stamping ) of a serial number with thier prior approval. Question is , how does one know down the line that thier approval had been sought and recieved ? Your paperwork would be a good indication of that.

I'd contact OOW and see if they have any info on it. It could have an unusal historical background. I'd also look at getting a FOIA .

Chris

FOIA ? Are you refering to a record of all the previous owners from the NFA. Is something like that possible, I would love to know.

Chris

Kind of, they are heavily redacted.

You get copies of all forms pertaining to that firearm.

From that you can usually figure out when it was entered in to the regestry, how many owners, and maybe a little more info.

Here's a link to an explaination of what I got;

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13006&hl=foia

Pete A.

Chris,

It only took a month or 2 if I recall(at the time, now, who knows).

There were no costs involved.

Yes, you have to be the owner when you request it.

There is a thread on this board with a sample FOIA request.

I used it with a few slight changes.

Pete

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I started this thread a few months back and still don't have my gun so I haven't requested a FOIA on the serial #. BUT I was just on Gun Broker and found another Reising with a serial # very close to mine 85-A6 mine is 85-A2 both are hand stamped.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=416108374

Any thoughts ????

Chris

Yes , I think the stamper improved a lot over 4 tries . :happy:

This adds to the theory that a few unmarked , possibly incomplete / unfinished , recievers were marked and sold just before the '86 cut off ( guessing 85- is the year registered ) .

Chris

Yes , I think the stamper improved a lot over 4 tries . :happy:

This adds to the theory that a few unmarked , possibly incomplete / unfinished , recievers were marked and sold just before the '86 cut off ( guessing 85- is the year registered ) .

Chris

I like your humor ! LOL I'm thinking like you are.

• 4 weeks later...

The late Paul Hayes built at least 3 reisings from registered serial numbered receivers and he was from Ohio. I helped him get magazines and worked with him on an improved firing pin. This might be one of them. The rubber buttplate on the stock was what Numrich offered in the past for a replacement stock.

Edited by smkummer

• 2 weeks later...

You know I tried to go back to the dealer on GB and see what he knew about the one he was selling, but the listing had expired and I'm unable to message him. Once I get the gun and can get the past history that should tell more of the story. Maybe SMKRUMMER is on the right track.

Chris