American Rifleman Cover

Check out the June, 2014 American Rifleman Cover. I think you'll like it!

Jim

Just in case you're wondering...I merged this topic with the virtually identical topic that was started yesterday...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Great photo indeed!

Dave - that is why you killed my post in the middle of writing it! Timing is everything...!

I got mine today as well. I plan on keeping this one.

I'm sure that was foremost on his mind at the time. He was also wondering why he didn't have a burled wood stock.

Hope you realize that I'm just kidding. We need to realize that these brave men or the armories didn't care about matching # as long as the weapon did it's job.

Now 70 years latter we can't understand why uppers and lowers don't match and want a logical reason for these errors.

Frank

I was reading a book by Ernie Pyle titled "Brave Men". In the book he has a segment on an Ordnance Company and he goes into how these rifles were serviced. I just thought it was interesting because there is always a debate on 'corrected' vs. "leaving it a mix-master because that is truly correct".

Figured people on here might enjoy reading it.

Pg. 288 of Ernie Pyle's "Brave Men"

Daily to the small-arms section of the company there came trucks with the picked-up, rusting rifles of men killed or wounded, and rifles broken in ordinary service. The outfit turned back around a hundred rifles a day to its division, all shiny and oiled and ready to shoot again. They operated on the simple salvage system of taking good parts off one gun and placing them on another. To do this they worked like a small assembly plant. The first few hours of the morning were devoted to taking broken rifles apart. They didn’t try to keep the parts of each gun together. All parts were standard and transferable, hence they threw each type into a big steel pan full of similar parts. At the end of the job they had a dozen or so pans, each filled with the same kind of part. Then the whole gang shifted over and scrubbed the parts. They scrubbed in gasoline, using sandpaper for guns in bad condition after laying out in the rain and mud. When everything was clean they took the good parts and started putting them together and making guns of them again. After all the pans were empty they had a stack of rifles-good rifles, ready to be taken back to the front. Of the parts left over some were thrown away, quite beyond repair. But others were repairable and went into the section’s shop truck for working on with lathes and welding torches. Thus the division got a hundred reclaimed rifles a day in addition to the brand-new ones issued to it.

• Upvote 1

I think I recall reading that one of these guys had to get two Air Corps men to stand on him to do the parachute harness buckles up tight, and then he couldn't stand up so they had to pick him up and put him in the plane.

I was reading a book by Ernie Pyle titled "Brave Men". In the book he has a segment on an Ordnance Company and he goes into how these rifles were serviced. I just thought it was interesting because there is always a debate on 'corrected' vs. "leaving it a mix-master because that is truly correct".

Figured people on here might enjoy reading it.

Pg. 288 of Ernie Pyle's "Brave Men"

Daily to the small-arms section of the company there came trucks with the picked-up, rusting rifles of men killed or wounded, and rifles broken in ordinary service. The outfit turned back around a hundred rifles a day to its division, all shiny and oiled and ready to shoot again. They operated on the simple salvage system of taking good parts off one gun and placing them on another. To do this they worked like a small assembly plant. The first few hours of the morning were devoted to taking broken rifles apart. They didn’t try to keep the parts of each gun together. All parts were standard and transferable, hence they threw each type into a big steel pan full of similar parts. At the end of the job they had a dozen or so pans, each filled with the same kind of part. Then the whole gang shifted over and scrubbed the parts. They scrubbed in gasoline, using sandpaper for guns in bad condition after laying out in the rain and mud. When everything was clean they took the good parts and started putting them together and making guns of them again. After all the pans were empty they had a stack of rifles-good rifles, ready to be taken back to the front. Of the parts left over some were thrown away, quite beyond repair. But others were repairable and went into the section’s shop truck for working on with lathes and welding torches. Thus the division got a hundred reclaimed rifles a day in addition to the brand-new ones issued to it.

/

/

That paragraph should be screamed right into the ear hole of every Garand collector

No group is more annoying than the "correct garand" builders out there