Reising 50 Jams, Ammo Misfeed

ttolley

I just bought a Reising 50. It tends to jam. I use 20 and 30 round third party Reising magazines. I load them with 25 rounds, fire, and after a few rounds, a live shell will stove pipe as it is pushed to the barrel and jams. I use Winchester 230 FMJ rounds and reloads which do not work too well (flat heads). The 10 round original H&R mag works fine but it is the only one I have. Any suggestions?

Tom Tolley

Next time it jams , check to see if the firing pin tip is sticking out , preventing the back end of the case from sliding up into position , leading to a stove pipe type jam. Otherwise as jim said above and also the placement of the mag latch hole . Check your bolt face , too . Are you holding the mag while firing ? Is a sling appling pressure to the mag body ? Could also be a rough spot on the feed ramp .

Chris

Edited by emmagee1917

Thanks guys. All of my 3rd party mags are unmarked. After fooling around with the top of the mag with a pair of needle nose plyers, 2 of the 4 seem to be working OK now. I keep hearing that the best mags out there are "Christie Products" mags. Do you agree? The 20 and 30 round original H&R's are extremely pricey.

Tom,

I have had to adjust the lips on every H&R 20 round mag (10) that I have acquired except the one that originally came with my Model 50. I do have a 30 round Christie that has performed flawlessly since the day I bought it. I don't know about other peoples experiences but it seems like a lot of the time the mag has to be "tuned" to the particular firearm. Also, take your 50 apart and keep it clean. I know mine really starts acting up when it gets too dirty.

I keep hearing that the best mags out there are "Christie Products" mags. Do you agree? The 20 and 30 round original H&R's are extremely pricey.

ttolley,

I agree. BTW, those mags are now sold by Keystone Arms.

Who manufactured the 3rd party mags that you have? Is it possible you could take a picture of their markings?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I have had similar issues with several Reisings..in a conversation with Ken C. he relayed that some of the 30rds were made differently and the guys at Keystone confirmed this info...most of the 30s have to have the feed lips adjusted so that the top round has a slight nose up status...also not all of the Wolf spring kits contain the proper length hammer springs,I found this out the hard way...light primer strikes,stove pipes,etc...some of the kits from Ken seem to be the problem..hth

I keep hearing that the best mags out there are "Christie Products" mags. Do you agree? The 20 and 30 round original H&R's are extremely pricey.

ttolley,

Who manufactured the 3rd party mags that you have? Is it possible you could take a picture of their markings?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

No markings on any of them. I got them with the M50 and have no idea where they came from.

Tom,

I have had to adjust the lips on every H&R 20 round mag (10) that I have acquired except the one that originally came with my Model 50. I do have a 30 round Christie that has performed flawlessly since the day I bought it. I don't know about other peoples experiences but it seems like a lot of the time the mag has to be "tuned" to the particular firearm. Also, take your 50 apart and keep it clean. I know mine really starts acting up when it gets too dirty.

Thanks, I think you are right about having to adjust the third party stuff. And I field strip and clean my gun after each shooting.

Tom T.

I have had similar issues with several Reisings..in a conversation with Ken C. he relayed that some of the 30rds were made differently and the guys at Keystone confirmed this info...most of the 30s have to have the feed lips adjusted so that the top round has a slight nose up status...also not all of the Wolf spring kits contain the proper length hammer springs,I found this out the hard way...light primer strikes,stove pipes,etc...some of the kits from Ken seem to be the problem..hth

Nose up? Really? I thought that was the problem. My H&R mag is adjusted so the top round is flat. Thanks, Tom T.

ttolley,

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I don't know who made them. At least I got 2 of 4 working. I think I will buy a Christie mag.

back on topic

I have M-60 I bought a sh*t load of mags from a guy in NH about 5 years ago, my nephew had the honor of testing out the mags half jammed 1/4 worked flawlessly and 1/4 only jammed on occasion I sold the ones that jammed ( they worked flawlessly in the gun of the guy who bought the mags) the ones that worked occasionally are my range mags I use round nose FMJ factory and reloads

oh we tested the mags on several different range days and again after replacing the recoil spring and end cap from a fixed pin to a floating ( moveable) pin

try different mags

• 5 months later...