NEW ALABAMA CASE

I just finished this case. I took measurements of an Alabama case this year at the TATA show. I tightened the dimension up just a bit to take some of the slack out of the inside dimensions to keep the Tommy from moving around. I also inverted the position of the gun and the magazines from the original design. When carrying the case, the Tommy is already indexed to the bottom of the case, instead of trying to fall to the bottom (original design). I added a bar at the bottom of the case that contacts the Lyman sight and keeps the gun from moving side to side. The original design had tabs extending from the bottom surface of the case that helped to keep the gun level and made contact with the barrel. The weight of the gun makes these tabs deflect under load and become loose over time. The interior color is purple but I don't think it shows up that well in the pictures. Exterior is leather.

Rather than hold a Thompson submachine gun, this case looks like it should hold a pool cue! Balance is off with the carry handle centered in the case (and no ammo in the mags). I loaded the XX mags on the left side of the case and the balance was almost perfect!

Someone was asking about violin cases for the Thompson. I was the guy at the TATA show with the display of converted violin and viola cases. I do not build these cases, but convert them. The key is to find an original case is very good to excellent condition. A full sized (4/4) case is what you want. Make sure the hinges, latches and carry handle are in very good condition. If the case has a few scuff marks, I do not dismiss these cases. This only adds "personality" to the case! But you don't want a junker either. You want an old style case with the hump on the lid where the bridge is located on the instrument. With this hump on a violin case, you can usually get an L drum and the butt-stock to fit in the top of the case. A 1921, 27, 28 model with a "horizontal forearm" will fit in the bottom of a violin case. If you want a front vertical grip, then you need a viola case (4/4). My converted viola case has the butt-stock, L drum and C drum above the separator plate. In the bottom of the case is the Tommy, 4 XX mags and a storage compartment (where you keep your rosin!).

Some of the other cases I have built can be viewed at this sight. See February 14 2014 topic about FBI/Police cases and August 6 2014 for the "Missouri Case" that I designed and fabricated. These cases are built from 7 ply, Baltic birch plywood and are totally hand built. I buy my hardware from outside sources. PM me if you are interested in cost to convert a violin or viola case.

Mario

post-417-0-20701800-1416775525_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-36767900-1416775546_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-98384300-1416775565_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-79433600-1416775584_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-62887900-1416775608_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-43300400-1416775630_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Mario,

Thumbs up on this, I've always had a weakness for original looking Thompson cases.

The Alabama varity is the only one I don't own.

I've been trying to get Bob Necessary to make one for a long while, to no avail.

I'd really like to see an original Alabama case, I've got some photos of Rat-tat-tat's case if your interested

in comparing? Is the hardware on your case like the vintage original cases? I know there hard to find, you may want to

contact Bob to get his source infromation.

Do you plan on selling them?

Keep up the excellent work!!

Darryl

Darrylta,

While attending the TATA show in August, I took measurements from Tracie's Alabama case. I also took pictures. The hardware I used on this case is not representative of what was used on Tracie's case. I've looked on the internet for the original type of hardware for the FBI, Police and Alabama cases made back in the day. I have not been able to track down the same hardware used in the good old days. I don't think its even made anymore due to the influx of foreign made items that undercut the quality products that were once made in America. So far, the hardware that I have been purchasing and installing on my cases functions well and the finish has been very good to excellent. I think most of the original hardware was plated steel (Chrome or nickel???). In todays market, I find that I have a better selection of hardware that is brass plated.

I do his for fun, when I have time. Winter does allow me to work in the basement and build some stuff. I would build a case (FBI/Police, Missouri or Alabama) for an individual and they could choose the style of hardware (of the ones I use), the color of the interior, what options they want and the type of exterior covering (leather or vinyl). Each case would be a custom case. The problem is the cost of the labor. These cases require a lot of time to get all the details just right.

I have one of my FBI/Police cases that holds a C-drum or an L drum in the build process. It will be the basic case (no options), use the basic hardware, have a blue interior and have a black vinyl exterior. I plan to put it on e-bay to see what it will bring. I can't compete and I am not trying to compete with the cases built overseas.

Thanks for your interest in the case.

Mario

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the Thompson cases, but am by no means a case expert. I posted this photo about 9 years ago, but I've forgotten what the consensus was back then.

My late uncle Tom was Sheriff of Lincoln County, New Mexico for 4 terms. He's the one who re-opened the Billy the Kid investigation, and was the longest serving Sheriff Lincoln County ever had. The County has Colt TSMG #11320, along with the case pictured below. I could have acquired this Colt myself back then if I'd had the money. Oh well, it's better off on display as a county historical item, as it is, last I heard.

What kind of case is this? I've never seen another one like it.

DSC00008.JPG

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Hey now,

That could have easily been a Tennessean built case as well :-)

It's obvious that it is a modified vintage suitcase adapted to house a Thompson. Most

likely built by a McGiverous deputy in his garage shop.

It's a historical find that shows the rough ingenuity of the Police Dept. It should stay

with the gun when it changes hands. A conversation starter for sure :-)

Do you know what the tag reads on the case. Bill Menosky will enjoy

looking at this sow's ear for sure.

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

David,

Surely a nice collectible Colt and a neat old "authentic" TSMG case. They both look like they've had some working time in the field and what's better than that for a great historical Thompson. Would have liked to see the gun and mags positioned in the case just to see the set up. Thanks for sharing again!

After looking at it again, I can see kinda what's going on.

Both halves have a carry handle.

The formed metal dust lip is original to the case.

The drum is on the top left under the wood lever.

The butt stock is on the top right under the wood lever

The XX mags are as shown.

You see a little finish wear behind the comp were it rubbed the divider slat.

It looks like it may have functioned well, with little rubbing wear if any to the gun.

Another eye catching item is the multi-tone Colt furniture on the gun. You can see

by the darker tone woods which saw the most handling by sweaty / dirty hands.

Original wood for sure.

You should have bought it David:-)

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

Here is a picture of the Alabama case that I viewed at this year's TATA show. The hardware is difficult to see, but its the best picture I have. The corners are the triangulated type with the ball at the corner. Probably chrome or nickel plated originally. The latches are typical of what I have seen used back then. The height of the lid for the Alabama case is very short. As I remember, the bottom of the corners almost touch the bottom of the lid on the original case. This places the attaching rivets very close to the edge of the lid. The same holds true for the upper portion of the latches. I think the upper edges of the latches were almost flush with the top surface of the lid.

Since I am not trying to "copy" or pass my cases off as "originals", I use hardware that I think compliments the size of the case and when installed, maintains the structural integrity of the case.

Mario

post-417-0-69679800-1416857947_thumb.jpg

Hey now,

That could have easily been a Tennessean built case as well :-)

It's obvious that it is a modified vintage suitcase adapted to house a Thompson. Most

likely built by a McGiverous deputy in his garage shop.

It's a historical find that shows the rough ingenuity of the Police Dept. It should stay

with the gun when it changes hands. A conversation starter for sure :-)

Do you know what the tag reads on the case. Bill Menosky will enjoy

looking at this sow's ear for sure.

Darryl

The tag reads, "Mfg by J.C. Earl". Hmmmmm.

Hardware on my cases are stamped Eagle Lock Co. Quick Google search said 1883-1955 or close. Another place Ohio Travel Bag Company has vintage hardware. Lot of my 1930s cars had Master( auto) Lock hardware for the removable trunks, same style. Most nickel, some chrome.

Might check the Ohio place if you haven't.

David,

That's some good history, I hope the set escapes the cutting torch when the County looses interest.

Attached are some photos I dug up of Bob's Alabama case.

ALcasebottom.jpg

ALcaseinverted.jpg

ALcaseouside.jpg

I seem to be having problems typing on this site with my laptop?

Marc, your case is very nice for a craftsman just getting into case building.

If your interested in getting in touch with Bob Necessary, PM me. I've got his email address

somewhere.

Darryl

• 8 years later...

Having a little time on my hands, I have been looking though old topics tonight, related to Thompson carry cases. Indiana, Alabama, Tennessee, why are certain cases named after States, are they the States that certain models were originally designed / manufactured?

Which were the first Thompson cases produced? I read the Indiana cases were originally designed by E E Richardson, so could this have been the original cases made in the 1920's? Elsewhere I read the Police cases predated the Indiana cases? FBI cases were not introduced until the 1930's, 1935 to be exact reading another post with this link:

https://historicalgmen.squarespace.com/1935-thompson-sub-machine-gun/#

So were does the Alabama cases fit into this.... and the converted Violas, or were they just fantasy pieces invented by Hollywood?

So many questions, who can give me some answers on any of these?

Stay safe

Richard