Colt 20rd Mag ID help needed (again) - more detailed

So - I've sorted through the majority of the 154 XX mags I've got.

I've found the majority are Maguire Era Error Patent Date (roughly 125) - and another 27 are Maguire Era Patent Date (double date).

Then - I've got 9 mags that do NOT have MSCO on the inside back strap - they are unmarked inside but mirror the Maguire Era Error on the outside - they have notched followers (these are the only mags with notched followers). The followers look identical to those shown on the ID thread for "Colt Era Blank Magazine".

It's been a painstaking process of checking them all for function and proper ID. I have quite a few that the follower was impinged (small dents, etc) - they have been set aside. You'd have never known they did not function properly without taking them apart - or sticking shells in them. I wanted to be the one to find out - not you.

I've also seen some that are a shiny blued - while others are almost black parked (very dull). Finish varies with wear - but no rusty pitted junkers.

Maybe 25 or so have solder-filled holes.

One thing I noted was that several had Seymour dimpled floorplates. Is this odd? And many had lots of finish wear on the mag but noticeably less on the floorplate.

Being used to Garands I know that finding one that's "factory correct" is next to impossible. I'm guessing that when these were taken apart in the field, arsenal, etc - they grabbed the closest floorplate from a pile and slid it on?

Comments requested and appreciated.

Paul

• Upvote 1

The XX rd mags with "AUG 24/24" dates sans the MSCO on the inside have not been definitively linked to a known manufacturer. Are they Colt era John's Machine or another manufacturer or a Maguire era manufacturer? That they are bundled with your found cache of all Maguire era XX rd mags may be a clue to their true era.

These 9 mags are the only of the 154 with notched follower and lacking the MSCO on the interior - otherwise, they seem identical to the other Maguire Era Error mags. All of the other 140+ Maguire Era mags (Error and non-Error) - have an un-notched follower and are marked MSCO on the interior backstrap.

Both in a sense - they have the tool marks and a notch - not a hole as seen on the S-W blanks.

@Paul,

Ok. The broken hole is found on Colt era blank XX rd mags and Colt era John's Machine XX rd mags as are the circular tool marks on the follower. These parts could have been used on the non "MSCO" marked "AUG 24/24" XX rd mags by whomever manufactured the body of the magazines. They may be what is the true first generation "MSCO" magazine before they marked the inside of the magazine that used existing available parts with their newly manufactured body and the "MSCO" rising hyphen style patent date stamping. Does that take them out of the Colt era?

I have received comments from others which tend to agree with what you are saying. I'm told it's possible these were Colt blanks - sent to Maguire. Hence the combination of Maguire markings on the body, but with the Colt "broken hole" follower and lacking the MSCO on the interior of the spine.

Thanks for your response.