Transferable Amnesty Registered AK-47

Sandman1957

Gents,

Fell into a Amnesty Registered AK-47 today. Unfortunately not for me, Friend asked me to look at this for him. I am not the buyer...

Will try and take photos, that will be late next week, but did get to see the gun. I shot a photo of the 1968 amnesty regristration. Field stripped the gun. It is milled, blued, and has Chinese Characters. Numbers match in several areas.

The gun is in good to excellant condition. Anyone want to stab at a reasonable offer price. The current owner who I met tonight, said he bought it from a gent in 1968, who bought it from a SEAL who just came back from Vietnam...

Gun was illegal. The current owner paid 250 for it, and then registered it in 1968 during the amnesty registration.

the gun is beautiful, solid, and if far better that what I was expecting to see.

Machinegun buyers guide has crazy numbers posted for amnesty registerd gun.

Anyone out there want to take a stab at "fair market" value?

15-20K?

20-25k?

Other???

Thanks in advance,

Sandman1957

Thanks Gents,

Will keep you updated on the Status, and will have photo's on the Net by the end of next week. Going out of state for the weekend.

S/Fi,

Sandman1957

One consideration might be the "bring-back" story. A few years ago I saw a fairly nice Chinese SKS, complete with bring-back papers, go for close to $500 at auction. That seemed very much on the high side at the time and I suspect that the 'bring-back' status is what made the price jump. Just MHO that this type of "history" might inflate the price.

One consideration might be the "bring-back" story. A few years ago I saw a fairly nice Chinese SKS, complete with bring-back papers, go for close to $500 at auction. That seemed very much on the high side at the time and I suspect that the 'bring-back' status is what made the price jump. Just MHO that this type of "history" might inflate the price.

This isn't a papered AK.

It's amnesty registered

There's no attached history (like the Tet AK), just a word of mouth story.

Unless a milled AK was a re-weld, they will typically be a amnesty registered gun

I understand it was amnesty registered, but I wonder if the "history" causes an inflated price or is it simply the going price of AKs. Bruce Canfield always cautions to "buy the gun, not the story" and that seems like wise advice. I guess my question is whether the prices mentioned are for any ol' AKs or are they papered?

I agree, buy the gun, not the story. However, I make a huge distinction between a "story" word of mouth, or typed letter, vs a gun with historical paperwork showing it was a bring back by a named Veteran. (Paperwork signed by the US Army USMD etc) The named veteran's paperwork is attached with the actions he was in etc. (Service Record)

That "documented paperwork" makes the gun far more valuable. My "fantasy" AK buy.. Close friend of mine, retired USMC SgtMaj, sniper in Vietnam... During one of his multiple tours in Vietnam circa 1967 / 1968 he brought back an AK-47. Later saw the notice for the amnesty registration... Thought he needed USMC paperwork to support the amnesty registration so he went to a USMC Major he had served with, explained the situation and the Major signed some official looking paperwork saying GySgt X was authorized to bring this war trophy home.

SGTMAJ has both the "signed bring back" paperwork and the amnesty registration papers. This coupled with his Service record book showing what actions he was in, his awards etc make this gun FAR more valuable than a similar gun without the documentation.

By the way, the Major was Al Gray... I asked to buy his AK, but he has a son who is a Marine. He plans on it staying in the family.

I think this gun would be in the 50K range with the "Al Gray" letter.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you looking to buy this gun or are you trying to help your buddy sell it? BTW, very nice gun...

Bob D

He asked me to give him a fair market range, which is why I posted on this forum. BMarvin says 30 - 35 K others maybe more. This isn't my forte. Thought I'd solicit from those more knowledgeable. He prefers a quicker sale and with less drama than gunbroker. If you want to PM me with offers I can pass to the seller I will do so. Or I will give the seller your phone number if you prefer. I have held this rifle, but since it is not mine I do not have possession. If you end up talking with the seller, I can take more photos, and assist in the transfer as required.

However, back on topic ,my quest was to get a fair market start point.

Thanks in advance Sandman1957

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw one exactly like the one you are showing with confirmed nuances and article in April 2002 in Small Arms Review. Brought $60,000.00 to dealer in Conn. (Sgt. Foster's LLC: Matt Foster, USMC, ret.) Good luck as they are hard to find in good condition, so head spacing needs verifying before running her.

Just saw one exactly like the one you are showing with confirmed nuances and article in April 2002 in Small Arms Review. Brought $60,000.00 to dealer in Conn. (Sgt. Foster's LLC: Matt Foster, USMC, ret.) Good luck as they are hard to find in good condition, so head spacing needs verifying before running her.

This one from Western by chance? Last time I looked it was under 60K

AK47 - 211127-1

An super rare documented original Chi-Com bring back AK47 from Vietnam. This weapon was picked up off a tributary of the Mekong Delta in the summer of 1968 by a member of the US Mobil Riverine Force known as "Brown Water Sailors. There is an article on this weapon in the April 2002 issue of Small Arms Review, Vol 5, No 7, page 89. It is a milled receiver weapon from factory 66 in excellent condition. It has the original front folding spike bayonet and still has the original cleaning kit in the buttstock. The new owner will receive a copy of the letter from the US Vet that brought this weapon back to the USA and registered it in the 1968 Amnesty Act. The form 4 that it is registered on shows the manufacturer as "Russia". If you are a top end weapon collector, you will know what this is.

Yes, the dealer sold for $60,000.00 and did pay $55.000.00 (as per ad in Western web page). Sorry for the mistake in verbage, should have said "from" instead of "to"! A very nice, well represented piece with docs. though. Prices keep escalating-----wonder what a true Russian type 2 bring-back would go for?

• 2 weeks later...

Provenance with a AK is valuable. The gun pictured is clearly an issue Chinese AK made by factory 66 that made huge numbers of them along with RPDs and other small arms. Recently I reactivated a similar AK for Ruben Mendiola, for whom I work on all his vintage guns, retaining the original barrel. I don't believe there is any documentation with the gun, but I my estimation, it has a value of around $35K or more.

with this AK, I'd advise starting high, Leavi.ng lots of room to negotiate. The most famous AK recently was allegedly picked up in the USA compound during the US evacuation from Saigon, so the provenance is special.

I would advise him to advertise the gun on www.subguns.com, which is easily done, and will get appropriate attention and word will spread.

Most of the registered original AKs in the US, and the remanufacured guns are Chinese, issue guns and export M22s, with Korean AKs the next most common but with many fewer in number. Russian AKs are extremely rare, with a couple welded Type 1s, a couple original Type 1s and maybe a Type 2 hidden away somewhere. I have owned quite a few AKs, and would like to know a Russina example, but haven't seen or heard of a Russian offered for many, many years. Amnesty registered AKs will not be accepted as C+R by ATF due to lack of proof that date of manufacture was fifty or more years ago. Even the high collector value does not qualify them, although by the rules it should! Not that it really matters......FWIW

Bob Naess

Had a chance at one of the 9 original untouched Russians in Del Rio,TX in 1974 for $1600.00! Passed as thought it was too high with no provenance----so stupid! Thanks for your insight and knowledge on the subject. Know of a Russian (type ?) in Arizona, but the owner does not intend on selling at any price---not sure I could afford if made available but expect 6 figures if with provenance. Looking for a 30 or 40 round mag (aircraft use at the time) for a Colt 1918 or 1919 BAR----any suggestions appreciated.

Edited by MCarter788

Just a bit of nostalgia as well as an example that some firearms dealers don't know what they are talking about: Back in the '70s I went to a large gun show in Baltimore (at the convention center -- before Inner Harbor was developed). A dealer had a beautiful, nearly mint condition, AK-47 on his table with a price of $450. It was a Viet Nam bring back without papers. I asked bout the Class 3 transfer and he said he could sell the piece to anyone without going through the ATFD (or was it the BATF in those days?) process. . .as long as the purchaser was from Maryland. Sigh! I suspect he was misinformed with regards to the jurisdiction of the NFA and was thinking that an intrastate transfer of a Class 3 weapon was not subject to the transfer tax.