Help with putting a 1928 lower on my 1927

• 4 weeks later...
You have to mill or cut away the very front top edge where the semi receiver has the little step. Then also mill away a channel down the middle where the firing pin travels. A mill is suggested but a file or dremil tool have been used before. Then they will slide together. You will need washers inside to fill the gaps in the large full auto channel.

• 2 weeks later...

I know Doug is retiring (well-earned !). If someone takes over his business I hope they consider a run of the frames. With a large base of semi WH's and Kahrs out there I'd think a market exists for them.

W

what is the reason behind putting a 28 lower on the semi? is it just to have a removable butt stock?

That could be one reason . Having the full auto selector switch there for looks would be a second reason . Changing the switch to function as a bolt hold open so you can switch drums without using a " third hand tool " or fighting it could be another . Also this would allow the use of unmodified USGI stick mags.

Chris

One of the main attractions of Doug's frame is the elimination of the .1" shortfall in receiver height that causes so many headaches with stick magazine lock up on the semi auto Tommies. It allows the use of an unaltered mag catch and mags and it improves the cosmetic appearance of the firearm. The downside is the cost of manufacture and the need for special custom internal parts to make it all work. I still want one. Or two.

One of the main attractions of Doug's frame is the elimination of the .1" shortfall in receiver height that causes so many headaches with stick magazine lock up on the semi auto Tommies. It allows the use of an unaltered mag catch and mags and it improves the cosmetic appearance of the firearm. The downside is the cost of manufacture and the need for special custom internal parts to make it all work. I still want one. Or two.

As I remember years ago Doug chimed in on what happened to the frames he once made. He said the ATF had a real shit fit about the frame because it was way to easy to convert to FA. So he had to destroy them. He did it by reverse enginering the SA frame that was unique to the SA design that the ATF approved of many years ago. So the basicly don't mess with a unique approved design by the ATF.

What ever happened to the Polston Design. Is it still out and about or is it dead as a door nail.

Edited by Elbow

Doug made a full auto frame for conversions (when you could still do that legally) and the SA frame. The full auto frame became verboten after the 86 law change. I don't recall any issues with legality on the SA frames, since the internal bolt cavity dimensions remained unchanged with the frame installed. The issue was the cost of making them and the need for custom parts. I haven't seen anything about the Polston efforts for some time. Probably DOA.