Minnesota Thompson Collectors

We have the local MWCA, (MN Weapons Collectors Assn.) and the trophy show every year usually has a Thompson display. I know there a lot of Thompsons here - I have sold / transferred probably 15 or so over the years. I think it would be fun to have a a Thompson shoot locally, Not sure how to get the word out though.

I think between the 4 posts here, and maybe more,

we could have quite an exhibit at the trophy show.

A buddy and I did a display many years ago - focus was British Empire weapons - We had everything from the Zulu war to WWII - Lots of MGs and several Thompsons, with uniforms, gear etc. We won best military display If I remember . Bill L. used to display his Thompson collection too...... I toy with the idea every year but seem to run out of time and ambition. Heck I even thought about a machine gun belt loading machine display since I have a probably 15 different types of those .....

Here's some Minnesota history;

Ever hear of this guy?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=reed&GSfn=adolph&GSmn=gustaf&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=99828913&df=all&

It would appear Minnesota was a happening place in the 30's.

Hint: Mr. Reed figured he needed a little extra firepower to deal with the Gangsters.

http://www.minnesotamonthly.com/April-2007/Crime-Capital/

Edited by Bob

there is a lot of Thompson related history here - from gangsters to police - The old Chief of Police in St Paul used to take his buddies out yearly to shoot the cities Thompsons- they have several ...... there is a 1927 in St. Cloud at the PD , and a 21 in Brainerd PD that is in great shape - and it runs well. We have shot it more than a few times. too bad it is a form 10 gun.

there is a nice 28 overstamp at the Museum at Camp Ripley. Along with a bunch of Military TSMGs.

the 20-30s were a hot time here in the Twin Cities, and there is a lot of Gangster related history. Smuggling, prohibition, caves and tunnels, but it was kept fairly quiet unless you dig for it.

It would be fun to have a local TSMG shoot- We need to find a place. there area couple options, but I do not control all the options of shooting spots - some of the best in my opinion. I can see if there are options, but we should wait for spring. If you guys want to PM me I can put together a mailing list and see if we can set up a shoot. We should invite the close by Wisconsin crowd too ....... Shoot location would probably be in the metro area -

Brian

• Upvote 1

Because of the favorable response: How about if I find a location in the Osseo area on JAN 16 Sat or JAN 23, Sat where we could have a private room or area? Noon might be a good time so not to interfere with evening family time. If someone has a better idea for location or time please post it. We could find a spot where lunch is served if anyone wants. Agenda might include making a mailing notification list, possible shoot, possible joint exhibit at a show, just gathering periodically to talk Thompson talk.,ect. Your thoughts?

How about if we meet at the Osseo American Legion 240 4th Ave SE, Osseo,MN {just off Cty Rd 81} at 11 AM, Jan 23, 2016. I will find a table for us. They serve food if interested. There is a military gun show that day at the Brooklyn Park Armory that you could visit before or after our mtg. I hope several can attend. Please inform all Thompson people you know. Many will recognize me from gun shows past, Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy and safe New Year.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys - Not sure if the event on Sat will come off - there are some extenuating circumstances... I am going to put a contact list together of our MN /western WI Thompson guys, and see if we can put together an event for this spring. If you want to get on the list, PM me with your contact info ( real name, email and phone would be great) and I will try to get something coordinated for after the snow melts.... I will be contacting those of you I know off line as well.

Regards,

Brian

• Upvote 1

You guys know, the Alvin Karpis Thompson is in the South St Paul Sheriff's office or something... Been awhile. TONS of history there.

Check out the book, " Dillinger Slept Here " by Paul M.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed this post, I am interested in any future events if I can work it into my schedule. I am in the south metro.

I might have a suggestion for a group event, I work for Washington County S/O (Stillwater) - they have a 1921 with ground serial numbers. I understand there would be a number under the barrel but you need a Richardson wrench to see it. I don't know much about 1921s, all my experience is on a WH M1A1. If anyone has the tools and know how it might be fun to learn more about this weapon. The weapon now has IRS numbers on it, and before anyone starts to salivate they are not looking to sell it. I am unsure what form the weapon is on.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag143/kb0uxv/IMG_1262_zpsanvueocr.jpg

I helped Steele County sell their 1928 overstamp Thompson a few years ago. I think that one fetched 37,500 on a sealed bid.

Edited by nate129

The gun in the picture you show has had the barrel replaced, so it wouldn't be a big deal to remove the barrel and find the secret number. I have Richardson vise and barrel wrench if your agency is ever interested in finding the original serial number.

Interesting about the barrel. I don't know much about 1921s so I was unsure if the smooth barrel was correct or not. I will talk to the bosses and ask if they are OK with a little surgery on this gun. How long would the process take?

I am also interested in threading the end of my WH barrel for a blank fire adapter if anyone has the experience with that work?