Replacing Rear Sight

What version of TSMG do you own? All the receiver holes for all versions line up for all the types of sights that were used. If you have an original wartime gun with an original 'L' sight, I might hesitate to swap because that's not how it was issued. If it's just a shooter or a WH, rock on. I put one on my Westie, after removing the crappy WH adjustible sight it came with. Both Doug Richardson and Paul Krough sell the correct rivets, but installing them correctly will be a pain unless you have access to some machine shop equipment. A machinist pal of mine fabricated a tool to hold the rivets in the correct position to peen them. Hope it works out.

Chief 762

If you have some experience in bucking rivets, and the correct rivets, and the correct tools, you could probably do a satisfactory job.

But, if you're already good enough to make it look like a factory job, you wouldn't even be asking about it.

So, a well intentioned and accurate answer is: to do the job (perfectly) requires the tools, skill, and experience you will find with PK, Reconbob, Deerslayer, and the uppermost devoted hobby gunsmiths on the board.

I have seen several self-installed Thompson rear sights, and beauty can definitely be in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by mnshooter

I agree. Replacing the sight and properly riveting it is not easy. Of course in the production

environment when the guns were originally made they had specialized tools and presses

to do this quickly and efficiently. Here we are 75 years later...

The rivets have to be held and supported from the bottom so that pressure great enough

to deform the head of the rivet and press it into the recess in the sight base can be applied

from the top. I do not think

it is practical to do this any other way than one at a time. The setup must be sitting on

something very solid to resist the force of deforming the rivet. Even a sturdy workbench

would not be solid enough. On the rare (thank goodness) occasions when we do this here

we set it all up on the table of a milling machine which is very heavy and solid and does not "give"

at all.

There are many Thompson fix-its that can certainly be done in a home workshop, but

I would say this is not one of them. Of course, add to all this that you don't want to make

a mistake and damage your gun...

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

The adjustable rear sight is a Lyman

people generally call it a "ladder sight"

It was attached with rivets, same as the M1 model. same hole size and spacing

some replica guns have the sight attached with screws, but not any original production pre 1945 guns

Edited by buzz