Hello All,

I'm new to posting, but I've lurked around here the past few weeks leading up to the purchase of not only my first Thompson, but my first firearm ever.

My interest in the Thompson was sparked back when I was a poor student, primarily by military and other shoot 'em up style videogames where you got to unload full-auto justice on Nazis, zombies, and other bad guys.

post-260337-0-86007000-1451592123_thumb.jpg post-260337-0-85633800-1451592170_thumb.jpg post-260337-0-29590400-1451592159_thumb.jpg

When I graduated college and got a decent job, a friend of mine, who is far more experienced with firearms, gradually started dropping not-so-subtle hints that I should get myself a Thompson. For my birthday, I'd get a set of little Tommy guns:

post-260337-0-37379600-1451592194_thumb.jpg

Or a book about them:

post-260337-0-24739700-1451592214_thumb.jpg

Then Christmas of last year, he gave me a full-auto M1A1...airsoft gun:

post-260337-0-48199100-1451592252_thumb.jpg

A few months later, he texted me a picture of the T150D on sale in a Cabela's catalog. I replied with something like "I don't even have a place to shoot the airsoft gun, what am I gonna do with a real one?" However, seeing that they are still manufactured had planted a seed in my mind...

Several more months went by, and after yet another idiot went on a shooting spree, I decided I better look into buying one soon before they become more difficult (for law-abiding citizens) to obtain. Amidst my researching online of Wikipedia, YouTube, and this forum, I noticed that once again they were on sale at Cabela's. Fortunately the nearest store to me, about a 3 hour round trip drive away, had them in stock.

Just going through the checkout, I could already see what attention and fascination the Thompson draws. After seeing the case, one gal exclaimed "Is that a Thompson?!" and let out an audible gasp of surprise, excitement, jealousy or some combination of these emotions. A little later, a guy saw it and said "Wow, they still make those? Awesome! Are there any left?"

And here it is after I brought it home and transferred it to the violin case:

post-260337-0-39098300-1451592379_thumb.jpg

Some initial thoughts:

• I knew it would be heavy, but it was still heavier than I expected, particularly with the full drum. On the plus side, it does cut down on the kick.

• It's very tricky to pull back the bolt AND flip the lever to lock it in place to load the stick and drum. My third hand tool kept getting twisted sideways and stuck in the magazine channel.

• The longer barrel wasn't as distracting as I had imagined after reading about how everyone prefers the shorter one. I may still look into the SBR process, however.

• I put 70 rounds through it thus far (one full drum and 20 from the stick mag) without a problem.

I'm sure a picture of just one semi-auto, long barrel gun is pretty ho-hum to most posters here who have multiple modified or full-auto varieties, but for me it is very special. From little toys, to a full-size air-rifle, to a real semi-auto, who knows where my Thompson story will go from here.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to share the story of your first Thompson!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for posting and welcome to the board! It's nice to see new people coming into the Thompson owners family. And being your first gun no less! Congratulations!

My Thompson Chronicle is here if you care to read it: http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17720

Jon

Congratulations on your new Thompson. Now start looking for a Colt 1905 pistol or Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless. ;)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/Colt19031919.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w22/MickeyD1/Colt1905.jpg

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Just got out again today and put 80 rounds (Federal and Blazer) though without issue.

My Thompson Chronicle is here if you care to read it: http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17720

Holy cow, you customized the heck out of that one, very nice! I wish it was easier to convert to a removable buttstock...or that they just sold them as standard.

Congrats and welcome to the board! Lots of info around here . As a side note the Ultimate Soldier pack is epic!!!!

Yes, those toys are incredibly detailed - in addition to the multiple receiver and barrel types to mix and match, they have moving bolt handles and you can even take the key and cover off the drum to see the rounds inside! On eBay they are asking $50 for unopened packages of this set...

Congratulations on your new Thompson. Now start looking for a Colt 1905 pistol or Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless. ;)

Funny you should mention looking for a pistol...I inadvertently bought 2 boxes of hollow point rounds, which to my understanding shouldn't be used in the Thompson (please correct me if I'm mistaken on this). When I went shooting today, my buddy pulled out a 45 pistol, and I said "I'll sell you these rounds" to which he replied "I'll sell you this gun!" Though I didn't buy his pistol, it got me thinking that it might not be a bad idea to have another, smaller gun that can use the same ammo as my Thompson...I think the 1911 would be a good companion.

Edited by prozach
  • Upvote 1

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Just got out again today and put 100 rounds (Federal and Blazer) though without issue.

Holy cow, you customized the heck out of that one, very nice! I wish it was easier to convert to a removable buttstock...or that they just sold them as standard.

>

Congrats and welcome to the board! Lots of info around here . As a side note the Ultimate Soldier pack is epic!!!!

Yes, those toys are incredibly detailed - in addition to the multiple receiver and barrel types to mix and match, they have moving bolt handles and you can even take the key and cover off the drum to see the rounds inside! On eBay they are asking $50 for unopened packages of this set...

Funny you should mention looking for a pistol...I inadvertently bought 2 boxes of hollow point rounds, which to my understanding shouldn't be used in the Thompson (please correct me if I'm mistaken on this). When I went shooting today, my buddy pulled out a 45 pistol, and I said "I'll sell you these rounds" to which he replied "I'll sell you this gun!" Though I didn't buy his pistol, it got me thinking that it might not be a bad idea to have another, smaller gun that can use the same ammo as my Thompson...I think the 1911 would be a good companion.

No , the 1911 would be the BEST companion .

( in my humble opinion )

Chris