Original Transferable Colt 1921 Thompson on Sturmgewehr

In California, we have already been ordered to turn in ALL our "High-capacity", over-10-round magazines to the local police, without compensation.

AS IF anyone still had any of those, which haven't been for sale here in years......Phil

Everybody in California has had plenty of time to GTFO.

Eric in Florida (The gunshine state)

Hey guys. This is my gun that I have up for sale. I plan to relist it for a lower price shortly on strum. As you all well know, this gun has worn finish and some parts that may have been changed thru the years. One thing about this gun is that in the serial number book it says that when inspected in 1964 it has worn finish then. Some of you guys like to pick them to death which is ok by me. But it is still a awesome piece of history that has made owners grin since the 20's. Also in the serial number book it says it appears to have a earlier barrel. I don't know. But what I do know is that it most likely never was refinished and covered up problems. It is what it is. I plant to list for $32,000 without colt drum. And 33,500 with. Plus insured shipping. I will post more pics I took tonight. Feel free to ask questions. It will make someone a great gun. And especially great if you can't afford a museum piece. William

Edited by moparnascar

i Still think about the gun and the chance to own a Colt for a low price.....the problem i have is how to value a gun in this condition. to make it all original would cost thousands and after that what is it worth because of the finish. I really, really appreciate all the photo's youve sent me and continue to send me. You want to sell the gun and are doing what it takes....im not sure $32,500 is low enough....i think if it had all the correct parts $32,500 would be correct w/ the finish......i havent looked into Rubens gun for $34k and dont know if it has all the correct parts. The finish on it is better in some ways, but i saw a bit of rust on the rear sight(i think)

for resale 10 years from now is it better to have a poor colt or a great bridgeport....i dont know the answer

i do have a price i would be willing to purchase the gun for, but it would be below what your going to be asking. I wont try to find the correct parts...i would accept it for what it is and enjoy shooting it knowing i am lucky enough to own a Colt thompson.....

my offer would start at $32,500 and deduct what it would cost to add the correct parts to the gun.......if it comes down to that for you let me know and ill throw a number at you....the market seems to be dead for anything over $20k right now....i dont think ive seen a $30k gun sell in 2016......and i did see a REALLY nice Colt sell for $36,500 around 3-4 months ago....he was asking $36k on Sturm(i think) and he got $36,500........i dont know if nice Colts are selling for more than that......so the $32,500 for mismatch w/ bad finish is still a stretch.......im not the expert here.....im observing what ive seen in the past 4 months of watching/learning.....i dont know what went on past Nov. of last year.....maybe colts were selling for $40k in good condition

i do wish you luck and when your open to offers i do have one for you if i havent found a Bridgeport in the mean time.

Edited by huggytree

Thank you Dave. Im not worried about it selling. It will. I was told that it was all Colt. And by inspection by board members it has a couple parts replaced. But I think it mostly is Colt.. Like I said, it is what it is. Not a museum piece. But a great piece of history that you can go shoot and not worry about it. I suppose a buyer could put in WW2 parts and shoot it. But its not like a guy goes and shoots thousands of rounds thru one. That would be silly. But to just go play here and there it would be great. This is the 5th Thompson I have owned. The 3rd Colt. And one of them has been in the family for lots of years. I will never sell that one.

Serial number book says it was owned by New York Post or Times, I dont remember which. It would be neat to get a little background from BATFE to possibly find some history. maybe someone on this board has previously owned it and could chime in. IDK

if i bought the gun for say $28,500 (bargain price).......would i put thousands into the gun to make it real?...what would the gun be worth when i was done? most likely equal or less that what i put into the gun........not many people have $30k+ to spend on a gun...the market is soooo small in that price range.....and to get a gun with a poor finish when spending 20%+ more would get you a good/great finish........for me my interest is in it being a shooter and my offer would reflect that.....

the seller has been great to me....he has given me 40+ pics as fast as possible for anyone....done everything he can to sell the gun...in return i posted them here in case someone else finds it and wants to buy it.........im a buyer, but at a price im comfortable with for a light finished, mismatched gun

i do wish you luck and think you will sell and hopefully this post and the pics will help....also thanks for being honest and sending all the pics.

ps. i would shoot approx 1,000 rounds through it a year...whatever happens, happens..its not a show gun anymore...its a shooter grade...

Edited by huggytree

you will most likely sell it.....it looks nice sitting in the blue case....someone will have to have it....otherwise you have my email.........what i like is its a 1921 and not a 28......id prefer the higher rate, the way thompson designed it

what was the convertible originally? 318?

love to have a 1970 440-6 OR a 426 convertible.....your very lucky....i love the Vitamin c color too(or whatever Plymouths version was called)....i like all the impact colors, to me its part of the heritage of the car...

Seems like every time there is a discussion about values of MGs, someone has to unload the "what if they ban MGs" scare from the box of chicken little contents.

Just after the GCA '68 foolishness with the end of the Amnesty and the fairly widespread paranoia about the gov't entrapping MG owners, the very same scare

was being bandied about.

[...]

NFA registration system works, has worked since NFA1934, albeit insanely dysfunctional, and for the anti-gun crowd to attempt to destroy it would put the lie to

their demands for universal firearms registration as the only way to make society safe. So they are stuck! It can be fairly claimed that NFA registratiion is a longstanding,

institutional , bureaucratic system that has done its job of "preventing" crimes and making society safer. It is the hoplophobes wet dream, and it can be held up as

proof of the benefits of universal registration, so an attempt to destroy it refutes their most basic beliefs. [...]

I thought your post was informative; insight into the way things were around the GCA '68 is becoming rarer & rarer with the passage of time!

You're correct that in the 1970's, the focus of gun control seemed to be centered on handguns; the increased ownership of semi-auto rifles may be

what changed gun-controller's focus (to so-called "assault weapons") starting in the 1980's.

The only thing that I would say differently (in your post) is this-- I don't think liberals today would break their stride in fear of contradicting any earlier

statements, if they moved from registration (under the NFA) to confiscation. To paraphrase something the former HCI said regarding another

law, I think we would see statements like,

"Gun owners fought firearm registration because they said it was the 'Camel's nose under the tent'... well now, it's time they

found out what the rest of the camel looks like..." (LINK)

To put it another way-- from what I can see, liberal's most "basic belief" isn't so much that guns should be registered-- it's that citizens shouldn't have

any access to a firearm whatsoever... liberals today frequently cite Britain/Australia as examples of what they want... those countries not only have

severe restrictions on most firearms... they don't even allow citizens to carry so much as pepper spray. In Britain, a "rape alarm" is your only legal option.

Now, do I think the "sky is falling" in the U.S.? Not right now-- the liberal's inability to ban, for the present, high-capacity semi-automatic weapons helps hold

them in check. Also, there's the fact that MG's were "banned" in '86, and crimes with legally registered NFA weapons are rare; further, the insane price of most

MG's also tends to guarrantee that most of them are kept quite secure (e.g., from theft). But a somewhat younger person contemplating MG's as

a long-term investment needs to at least be aware of the risks.

My $0.02.