Vertical Thompson forearm on ebay

Wow. $400 for a repro....and what do you know. 5 minutes later, another "original" popped up on gunbroker this time. It's obviously not original. This is now about the 5th or 6th "original" mint condition grip being sold in the past month. Please don't get scammed. If you want one that matches the original in contour either contact myself or Dan Block to have one made. I'll even match the color and wear on the vertical grip to the rest of your stock set. I'll post some pics of ones I have done for myself tomorrow if you would like one. I hate seeing people spend hundreds of dollars for something you can have for about $75. I have never made for anyone else before, but I just can't stand to watch another collector get burned.

Link to bogus grip. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=542424802#PIC

Edited by Mywifesgunakillme

Wow. $400 for a repro....and what do you know. 5 minutes later, another "original" popped up on gunbroker this time. It's obviously not original. This is now about the 5th or 6th "original" mint condition grip being sold in the past month. Please don't get scammed. If you want one that matches the original in contour either contact myself or Dan Block to have one made. I'll even match the color and wear on the vertical grip to the rest of your stock set. I'll post some pics of ones I have done for myself tomorrow if you would like one. I hate seeing people spend hundreds of dollars for something you can have for about $75. I have never made for anyone else before, but I just can't stand to watch another collector get burned.

Link to bogus grip. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=542424802#PIC

I would respectfully disagree with you on your assessment of the vertical grip sold on Ebay as a reproduction. It has all the characteristics of an original Remington made grip. I believe whoever purchased it got it for a reasonable price. In my opinion, the grip you linked on Gunbroker is also an original, albeit a WWII variety vertical grip. What is so obviously not original on the Gunbroker grip?

gijive,

I agree with you that the eBay grip definitely had characteristics of a Remington made grip however, it would be very difficult to authenticate without holding it in person. Someone IMO took a very big chance by paying up for it. The good thing about eBay is, their "buyer protection policy". If you deem it to be non-original upon receipt, then you can return and receive full refund. They are very good at supporting buyers in that manner. So, I guess it might have been worth a gamble.

hawksnest,

I would say we are just going to have to disagree on the authenticity of your grip on Gunbroker. At least you are honest enough to come forward on this forum and claim it as yours. If you believe it to be 100% legitimate then so be it. Some people will agree with you and others will agree with me. They will just have to form their own opinion of the piece. I have posted a couple pictures of the areas that lead me to believe it to be repro. It could be a 40y/o repro, but it is stilla repro IMO.

post-260238-0-69590800-1455549763_thumb.jpg

post-260238-0-48623500-1455549764_thumb.jpg

For the record, neither of the pictures above is a picture of the vertical grip I sold on gunbroker. A person I regard as the most knowledgeable Thompson expert, handled and examined my grip in person and then offered to buy it. The other person I regard as a Thompson expert did not have the advantage of an in-person examination of the grip but did examine photos of it.

Had my grip been "perfect" then the opening bid would have been set much higher.

hawksnest,

Do you use a stock replicator to make your grips?

Darryl