M1/M1A1 Buffer and Buffer Pilot in a 1928

Hi All,

The recoil spring will not fit through the hole in the rear of the receiver on an unmodified receiver. The hole in the '28 is smaller than the M1. I'm not so bright so I made a new guide rod for the '28 small enough to load as the M1 loads from the rear. Things came to a hault when I realized the spring didn't fit through the rear of the '28 receiver. Oops.

The '28 guide rod w/hole is quite easy. I just stick a paper clip in the hole and twist the spring onto the rod (LH thread IIRC). Drop it into the gun and pull the paper clip. To remove, I slide my index finger rearward pulling the recoil spring toward the rear of the gun. When a few coils go by, I stick the paper clip into the hole. The spring guide comes right out easily.

Some data from prints I've found (and it matches guns I've inspected):

Spring OD 0.390"

Hole in '28 receiver 0.350"

M1 hole in receiver 0.415"

Now, no hole in guide rod: you are on your own :)

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

Edited by Grasshopper

If you made an M1 type rod that extended exactly as far into the receiver as the original 28 rod, how would it be different than a 28 rod?

There should not be any difference. I am think a hole in the buffer end just like the 28 a1 to ease assembly.

Also, while add it, does the recoil spring have to be it's full length? I am not good with springs or gears, go figure.

Well, if you have to do the whole spring-wrangling routine with the M1 setup in the 28, I guess there is no real point to making the change.

The 28 spring pilot is kind of a nuisance to install, but the wide flange on the end does stabilize the rod a lot.

I would advise against making the recoil spring lighter or shorter.

The lighter or shorter the recoil spring is, the harder the bolt is going to hit the buffer. The harder it hits the buffer, the more force is going to be felt by the rear plate of the receiver.

Also, it would lower the spring force in general, which means the gun would operate with less energy. That would make it less reliable and increase the sensitivity to dirt.

Paladin601, The funny thing is,the buffer and buffer pilot you show, from my understanding should go in a M1-M1A. But I just got a real clean and shiny West Hurley 1928 in,opened it up and found the buffer and rod you show in your picture! Go figure. Why would anyone change it out that way? Or do you think that's what was laying around at the factory, I guess I would find that hard to believe. By the way I was told the spring in a 1928 should be 69 coils and 11" long. The one they had in mine had 77 coils