Identifying Savage and Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport Manufactured Thompsons

Since I bought my first deactivated Thompson, a Model of 1928, back in 1995, I have always been interested in identifying the marks and stamps found on the Thompsons. As I have added examples to my collection, I have researched the history and markings on each one, from various sources available. To share this knowledge, with those who are only beginning their addiction to the hobby, I have correlated the information below, which I have researched from many sources.

Since the production of the Model of 1921, there have been a number of Inspector stamps added to Thompsons, indicating, not only where it was produced, but also sometimes a clue to the period it was produced.

The first Thompsons produced were marked with the stamp of Auto-Ordnances chief inspector, Major John H. Barrett, who was the based at Hartford, Connecticut, during the production of all the Colt Model of 1921 Thompsons in 1921 and 1922. The majority of the Model of 1921s are stamped with his encircled JHB initials.
JHB V2.JPG

In 1940, when manufacture of the Model of 1928 was resumed, the contract for the production was awarded to the Savage Arms Company. It was not until the Lend Lease Act was passed in March 1941 and the addition of the 'US' prefix to the 'Model of 1928' model designation, that Army Inspectors of Ordnance, (AIO), stamps were added to Thompsons. The Savage Utica Plant was located within the Rochester Ordnance District of New York, the chief inspector for that district was Colonel Roy Lindsay Bowlin. His inspector stamp, RLB, is found on most of the lend-lease 192A1s produced by Savage, as well as on weapons & equipment manufactured by Remington and Ithaca.
RLB.JPG

In 1942, when Savage production was moving from 1928A1's to M1's, Colonel Bowlin was assigned to the St Louis, Missouri Ordnance Plant and Colonel Frank J. Atwood took over his position at the Rochester Ordnance District.
FJA.JPG

Colonel Atwoods initials, FJA, are found on the majority of the M1 and all the M1A1's produced by Savage, accompanied with the encircled GEG Stamp of George E. Goll,
George E Goll AO Civilian Inspector during WW2.JPG

George E Goll was a member of the original Thompson design team, who accompanied General Thompson on his demonstration tour in Europe during 1921, in his capacity as "Rifleman Demonstrator". What a cool title, who would not love to have that, on their résumé?
demo1.gif
George E Goll continued his employment with Auto-Ordnance Corporation into the 1940's, in the capacity of Auto-Ordnances civilian inspector, I prefer the original title of "Rifleman Demonstrator", at the Savage plant between 1940 and 1944. He left his legacy in his encircled GEG stamp, found on most of the Thompson guns produced at the Savage Arms Companys Utica plant.

It wasn't until 1941 that Auto-Ordnance opened its own factory, to assist Savage with the production of the overwhelming wartime demand for the weapon. The Auto-Ordnance, Bridgeport plant was under the jurisdiction of the Springfield Ordnance District. Bridgeport produced Thompson Guns were inspected and proofed on site by Springfield ordnance inspectors. The Army Inspectors of Ordnance or AIOs of the Springfield District during WWII were Colonel Waldemar Broberg and Lt. Colonel Guy H. Drewery.

Colonel Waldemar Broberg served as AIO of the Springfield District from 1 July 1941 until 30 June 1942. The stamp bearing his initials, WB, is found impressed on the receivers left side above the magazine well area. Colonel Brobergs stamp is also found on Colt M1911A1 .45 Auto Pistols manufactured during the same period.
WB.JPG

Lt. Colonel Guy H. Drewery, replaced Colonel Broberg, serving as AIO from 1 July 1942, until 15 July 1945. His stamp, bearing his initials GHD, was often placed on the left side of the receivers, just forward of the Thompson submachine gun details stamped below the rear sight.

GHD.JPG

The WB inspector stamp is the most common encountered on Auto-Ordnance, Bridgeport manufactured US 1928 A1 Thompsons. Colonel Drewery took the position of AIO near the end of the US 1928 A1 model production run at Auto-Ordnance. His initials are primarily seen on Auto-Ordnance, Bridgeport manufactured M1A1. His inspector stamp is also found on the Winchester produced Garand M1 Rifles and Winchester and Underwood produced M1 Carbines, as well as many hand guns including Colt M1911A1 .45 Auto.

There are a number of other markings on war time US 1928A1s, M1s and M1A1s that identify in which plant they were manufactured.

On the US1928A1s, the most obvious is the serial number prefix, AO for Bridgeport and S for Savage. With the introduction of the M1 and M1A1 the S and AO prefix on the serial numbers were eliminated. So for identifying where these examples were produced, apart from the Inspector stamps, there are a number of other differences in the markings, which can be used.

There remains a subtle indication to which plant produced the M1 and M1A1s, in the serial number. The abbreviation for number on Savage guns reads NO., while the Auto-Ordnance, Bridgeport abbreviation is slightly different, reading, No..

The addition of the 'US' Prefix to the 'Model of 1928' model designation, was a requirement of the Lend-lease Act, to identify US Property. On the M1 and M1A1s this was replaced by the actually wording, 'U.S. Property', being stamped behind the rear sight.

On the 'US Property' marking found on Savage produced M1 /M1A1 receivers, the letters 'U.S.' are roll marked on one line, and the word 'PROPERTY' on a second line underneath. The U.S. Property stamp was marked to be read from the rear of the receiver.

222556 US Property & Bullet.JPG

Auto-Ordnance manufactured M1A1s, have the U.S. PROPERTY roll marked on one line, which is readable from the front of the weapon.

429828 US Property  & AOC sight.jpg

Another subtle difference is found on the trigger assembly; the selectors on Auto Ordnance Bridgeport produced Thompsons are marked, 'full auto', on one single line, while on Savage manufactured Thompsons, 'full' is on one line, with 'Auto' stamped below it..
14 selectors.JPG

541933 SN.JPG

As you can see from the above photos, another difference was the model designation, the Savage 1928 and 1928A1's read 'US Model of 1928 A1', but the Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport 1928A1's, omitted the word 'of' and read simply 'US Model 1928 A1'.

As identified in another recent post, the script in the WW2 bullet logo, has an identifiable difference in the letter 'h'. It was pointed out that the script of the letter 'h', on Auto Ordnance Bridgeport receivers, appears to resemble a letter 'R'.

There were in actually three different Bullet logos used by Auto-Ordnance Corporation over its history, and as identified above, two variations of the third, war time logo.

The original logo, found on early Auto-Ordnance Corporation stationary, as well as on the first Model of 1921s, has the script AUT-ORD-CO inside the bullet.
1st Bullet Logo.JPG

The second logo, introduced sometime between 3000 and 4000 range of the Model of 1921s serial numbers, had the AUT-ORG-CO script replaced with the Word Thompson in script, with 'TRADE', marked above the 'bullet' and 'MARK' below it.
2nd AO Bullet Logo.JPG

The third and more common logo, which is found on all WW2 produced Thompsons, retained the word Thompson in the bullet, with the addition of the wording 'TRADE MARK' on the top of the bullet and 'REG. U.S. PAT. OFF.', below the bullet. Both WW2 logo variations are shown below, left from a Savage gun and on the right, an Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport Thompson, showing the difference in the script of the letter 'h'.
3rd S Bullet logo.JPG 3rd AO Bullet logo.JPG

My apologies for any spelling errors, I have read through this a few times, but I always miss something. I look forward to anything that I have over looked, being added or any mistakes I may have made, being corrected by our more knowledgeable forum members.

Stay safe
Richard

Edited by dalbert
  • Upvote 1

Very nice, also the Savage 1928 trigger frames stock slide grooves are longer than the AO stock slide grooves and the auto ordanence trigger frames have more rounded edges where the back of the grip meats the trigger frame

Great post!

Not sure if it goes for all AO trigger frames or possibly receivers, but from what I've seen; AO tends to be a finer finish with less machining marks than Savage.

Andrew

1952RHA,

"That is the difference between seeing and observing", I like your attention to details, indeed I only looked at the differences in the Thompson markings, not the mechanics or construction of the guns.

David,

You can see I have too much time on my hands... I need to find another job soon :happy:

Have a good weekend

Richard

• Upvote 1